cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC roaming/mobility

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

So on roaming and mobility I have read some conflicting things and would like to clarify:

In order to configure roaming on the WLC's

1- Do we need to have the same code or different code should work?  I have read that it is better to have the same code but not required and I have seen roaming/mobility work with different codes myself.

2- Virtual IP interface, I know this needs to match on the controllers in the same mobility *DOMAIN*

3- Mobility Group (share information if its the same) Name can be different, but Mobility domain name should be same between the two WLC's?

4- I have not been able to find clear documentation on the exact requirements for roaming.  Text I found every where seems like grey area.  So the only two must have I can think of so far are "Mobility Domain and Virtual IP", anything else ?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most important part of the "roaming" factor is the wireless client.  If the wireless client is running very old wireless NIC drivers then there is no such thing as "roaming" because their chips weren't designed to move, from one AP to another, harmoniously.  

If you have multiple controllers handling AP's in areas where devices roam, then the mobility group, virtual ip and RF group should be the same.  Like Leo mentioned the clients perform the decision when to roam. As far as code, controllers share their information to AP's in the same mobility group. So high availability on the AP's are required so that AP's don't move to another controller that might have a different code. 

Code... well you should decide on one that is stable in your environment. I have used different code versions but I did migrate eventually and isn't something I would do all the time. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card