Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Top Client Devices Timeline

willsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have a 2500 series AP and i have the Top Client Devices list that show me how much traffic every client do.

Could you please, tell me a way to know since when they did the traffic?

Thanks,

Alessandro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Via command line you can run 'show client detail 'mac address''

There will be the information:

Connected For ................................... X secs

Then you can do the math. 

What I was trying to saying is that if you need something more detailed and maybe for a management presentation, you can get this data with Prime. But, depends on your requirements  you can try to get on the WLC directly. The problem is that WLC does not provide a time stamp for when data start and stop so this may be not precise.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi @willsupport

You should have Cisco Prime for that. WLC does not have a database to store this client historical data but Prime does.

Hi Flavio,

thanks for the reply, but i don't understand that amount of traffic how it's calculated.
I do an example, i have a client with mac X that do YGB of traffic.
I can't know in how much time he did that traffic without Prime? What is the standard timeline of the WLC?

Thanks,
Alessandro

With Prime this is possible because it performs raw data collect from the WLC in regular interval and stores it on the database. That way you can export reports from the database. 

Ok, i understand the Cisco Prime's role in this case, but i still have a doubt.
I have this MAC Address of the client connected, and the amount of GB he did until the moment i see the table.

That amount must refer to a time unit. Since when the WLC start to calculate the GBs used by the client? Since reset of the WLC, since re-association of the client, etc...

Can't believe that i must buy a Cisco Prime License for this. I don't need a report of the use of the AP. I only wanna know, if i see for example 50GB of traffic, the time interval of the calculation.

I don't know if i explained good my doubt. I'm not so good with english.

Alessandro

When you look at the Top Client from the RD Dashboard, you will see associated time. That is when the collection for that device starts.  Now how accurate that is, well I would say that you test that out. There are tools that you can install on a device like a windows machine that can track usage. Install that and then associate to the SSID. From there, make sure the associated time is recent and then start collecting your data.  That would probably be the best way to accurately determine if the data on the controller matches close to what the client side tool shows.  If not, then I don’t know how much that data will help you if your looking for accuracy.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Via command line you can run 'show client detail 'mac address''

There will be the information:

Connected For ................................... X secs

Then you can do the math. 

What I was trying to saying is that if you need something more detailed and maybe for a management presentation, you can get this data with Prime. But, depends on your requirements  you can try to get on the WLC directly. The problem is that WLC does not provide a time stamp for when data start and stop so this may be not precise.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card