Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC upgrade query - WS-SVC-WISM2-K9

Hello

Looking for some clarification please.

I need to upgrade a WLC HA pair and was wondering has anyone incurred any caveats whilst performing such upgrade.

My process will be to download the software to the wlc and then pre-download the image to the Laps.

My concern is when I scheduled the WLC reboot and the Laps re-discovery the controller and install the new image will the LAPs come back online? - I have no doubt they will but convincing the client is the problem - Currently the WLC is hosting 400+ Laps.

New version will be 8.0.152.0 going from 8.0.120.0

Any feedback much appreciated. 

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Pre-download works only if your AP's have enough flash for the image. Older AP's with 12Mb of flash doesn't support the pre-download. The uploading of the image to the controller is not a big deal and I do that all the time, just make sure you change the boot order just in case the controller looses power or is booted on accident. This way your primary boot is your original image. You can then test out the pre-download on a test AP or a production AP to see if the image takes. That would be your best way to ensure things work.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Correct... the controller holds two images, your current and the new uploaded one. The AP's if has enough flash, also can hold two images. You have to upload the image first to the controller, you don't have to reload, then you can push the image to a single AP for testing. As long as the AP shows the new image as a secondary, then you are good. You should test with the various AP models to ensure yourself which will take the pre-download.
-Scott

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Pre-download works only if your AP's have enough flash for the image. Older AP's with 12Mb of flash doesn't support the pre-download. The uploading of the image to the controller is not a big deal and I do that all the time, just make sure you change the boot order just in case the controller looses power or is booted on accident. This way your primary boot is your original image. You can then test out the pre-download on a test AP or a production AP to see if the image takes. That would be your best way to ensure things work.
-Scott

Hello scott

Cheers for the reply -

@Scott Fella wrote:

Good point regards the flash  -its something I didnt consider

When you say test the new image on a AP -  are you saying i can pre-dowload the new image to the ap and run with that even though the wlc would still be running on the old image?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Correct... the controller holds two images, your current and the new uploaded one. The AP's if has enough flash, also can hold two images. You have to upload the image first to the controller, you don't have to reload, then you can push the image to a single AP for testing. As long as the AP shows the new image as a secondary, then you are good. You should test with the various AP models to ensure yourself which will take the pre-download.
-Scott

Hello Scott

Excellent thats what i needed to hear -This would enable me to pre-test various LAPS prior to a full rollout as you stated and with that I should be able to smooth my clients ruffled feathers.

cheers

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Scott
very much appreciated.

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

What version are you planning to upgrade to?

Hello Leo

FYI -New version will be 8.0.152.0 going from 8.0.120.0

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Scott

@Scott Fella wrote:
 As long as the AP shows the new image as a secondary, then you are good. You should test with the various AP models to ensure yourself which will take the pre-download.

Arh - Just re- read this again and I think I have misinterpreted your answer --You are on about testing IF the LAP can take the image on a pre-download ONLY ?

- I first thought you meant the LAP can be ran on the new image even thought the WLC is still running on the OLD- hence my surprise and comment that I wasn't aware it was possible

Is this correct?

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card