Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC8500 Different - Endpoint(not AP) Different Mac address Same IP

Saran Komgris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible for different endpoints (non-AP devices) to have the same IP address within a WLC environment? (Form the picture below it seems possible)

How to check and prevent this setup.

ip.png

Found that many mac-addresses use the same IP address in the same network.

I know that if two different endpoints within the WLC environment are configured statically with the same IP address, this can cause IP conflicts and network communication issues. DHCP might assign the same IP address to both devices dynamically, resulting in unpredictable behavior.

In this case, end devices can be used and no issue found.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- On the WLC Wlan , you can set "DHCP Required"  ; resulting in clients being blocked until the DHCPREQUEST is heard ; if the DHCP server is properly setup  no ip conflicts should occur , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the two clients are configured with same static IP then no one can stop the conflicts but there is a solution to stop which is mentioned by Marce. 

Just check the box "DHCP required " under the wlan configuration and then it will disallow client static IP addresses.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card