cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA/AES and WPA2/AES

rsumpter
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any difference between WPA/AES and WPA2/AES. I realize that WPA was pre-standard but I'm wondering if there are any "technical" differences.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Security is the same. There are differences under the hood with regard to roaming and caching, header labels, and a few other things. WPA/AES is not tested during the WiFi Alliance certification process so there's potential for compatibility issues.

If your clients can't support WPA2 then they probably can't support WPA/AES either, so my thinking is go with the certified combinations and do WPA2/AES and WPA/TKIP. (There's no reason in the world to enable WPA2/TKIP since all WPA2 clients must support AES.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Security is the same. There are differences under the hood with regard to roaming and caching, header labels, and a few other things. WPA/AES is not tested during the WiFi Alliance certification process so there's potential for compatibility issues.

If your clients can't support WPA2 then they probably can't support WPA/AES either, so my thinking is go with the certified combinations and do WPA2/AES and WPA/TKIP. (There's no reason in the world to enable WPA2/TKIP since all WPA2 clients must support AES.)

Thx for the feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: