Views
Helpful
Replies

Yellow exclamation mark in windows

Vinny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WLC running 8.1.121.0. We have a strange problem that occurs from time to time. Sometimes, when people connect to the wifi using their windows laptop, the connection works but with a yellow exclamation mark on their wireless icon in systray (saying no internet connection)

When this problem happens, the client have it's IP address but you can't do any nslookup on DNS servers or get out of the subnet.

Most of the time, this exclamation mark disappear but it-self 2-3 minutes later and then suddently everything start to work.

And sometimes, we need to reboot the computer and it fix the problem...until it reappear in the future.

Do you have an idea what it could be ? Am kind of lost.

We use ISE with PEAP authentication.

Sorry for my english

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Probably the issue is the supplicant on the laptop.  Upgrade the driver and test. If you can't ping the gateway, make sure you only run 20mhz on the 5ghz and see if that fixes the issue.  The Intel 726x has issues with bonded channels with specific drivers. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

But it only bug for 2-3 minutes then it start working.

I read on a few posts that "DHCP Addr. Assignment" could pose problem like that. What do you think ?

I disable the option yesterday, let's see what happens

So the issue with the Intel NIC is that you will still have an iPhone address but all of a sudden you can't ping the gateway. So what I would say is look to see what NIC cards you have and if it's the Intel, then upgrade the drivers. DHCP required is a feature and really doesn't need to be enabled. Go ahead and disable that and see if the problem goes away. 

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card