Views
Helpful
Replies

ABF performance impact on High amount of Traffic

Peyman Zadmehr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

From Old IOS days I remember using PBR on High level of traffic, makes a high CPU utilization on the router since every packet is processed by CPU instead of CEF switching.

I want to use ABF feature for managing Traffic From Subscriber side to Cache engines and from Internet to Cache engines as replacement for WCCP(as I read, this protocol is not supported in IOS-XR anymore) The amount of Traffic for redirecting is about 600Gbps and I consider using 4x100GE card.

Question#1: Will I have High CPU load and Memory load same as IOS routers if I apply ABF on 600Gbps on two Interfaces?

Question#2: -TR or -SE which one is more suitable for this scenario? I mean 4x100GE-SR or 4x100GE-TR? Is this even important?

At the side note I use PBR on ASR-1002X for about 8Gbps and router has no issue for CPU load.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

XR is not a software switched operating system, so long as the packets aren't 'for us' they won't be punted up to the CPU, everything will be done in hardware.

However, the more features you have enabled the less pps we can process.

We do see customers using redirect capabilities in BNG such as walled-garden and ABF.

Sam

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

XR is not a software switched operating system, so long as the packets aren't 'for us' they won't be punted up to the CPU, everything will be done in hardware.

However, the more features you have enabled the less pps we can process.

We do see customers using redirect capabilities in BNG such as walled-garden and ABF.

Sam

Hi

Thank you for clarification