cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9006 SNMP for Subscriber Sessions

Sharlock93
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm trying to work with freeRADIUS and want to make checkrad work, it basically sends an SNMP get to some OID, upon further research I saw that it was using an old OID (OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.1) and this seems to be outdated so I wanted to use (CISCO-SUBSCRIBER-SESSION-MIB, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.786.1.1.1), this is from the description of the OID: This table describes a list of subscriber sessions currently maintained by the system. (also in the description it says: MAX-ACCESS not-accessible), and I cannot do an snmpwalk to get anything from it, I was wondering if there is any particular way to get the subscribers session info.

Thank you for your help before hand.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that's correct, only the OIDs listed in the document are supported.

You can use XML. You can use the "show operational IPSubscriber xml" on the router to see what info and in what format will be exported.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can find the supported MIB list at:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/mib/guide/asr9k-mibs.pdf

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/asr9000/asr9000-supportlist.html

On a high scale BNG with tens of thousands of subscribers, obtaining a list of subscribers via SNMP would take a long time. Service providers deploying asr9k as BNG obtain this info from the servers where accounting information is stored.

Alternatively, in recent XR releases you can use Telemetry to stream data from the asr9k. The performance is much better than SNMP. See https://xrdocs.github.io/telemetry/tutorials/2016-07-21-configuring-model-driven-telemetry-mdt/ as well as the "BRKSPG-2303" session from Cisco Live 2017 in Berlin.

There is also a very good document that explains how SNMP works on asr9k: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-31331.

hope this helps,

/Aleksandar

Thank you, I have seen those documents before and that is why I posted the question, even though CISCO-SUBSCRIBER-SESSION-MIB is supported on the AS9K, such OIDs as 

csubSessionType
csubSessionEntry

all return "No Such Instance Exists", the PDF you have included  on page 194 only show some OIDs tables existing under CISCO-SUBSCRIBER-SESSION-MIB, does this mean that the other OIDs are not supported?

as for getting the information from the accounting server, this won't work because im trying to fix solve a problem that happens between the BNG and the freeRADIUS server, that problem mainly  being that the BNG and the freeRADIUS server go out of sync sometimes where a subscriber won't have a session on the BNG while an accounting record is open in the freeRADIUS, this will cause any requests that come from the BNG to be rejected, this is mainly solved by having the freeRADIUS sever checking with the BNG and seeing if the user does have an active session or not  thus bringing us full circle as to why I wanted to get the session info from the BNG using SNMP.

unfortunately we cannot update the BNG to 6.1.2 so we get Telemetry support  because of one our packages that we use haven't been updated.

is there any other way of getting such info besides SNMP and Telemetry? is it possible to use the XML api?

that's correct, only the OIDs listed in the document are supported.

You can use XML. You can use the "show operational IPSubscriber xml" on the router to see what info and in what format will be exported.

This is pretty awesome, I really hope I can filter the subscribers from the entire list, and if this API is reliable we could make our own GUI for some stuff, thank you.