Views
Helpful
Replies

Process of Setting up Nv Edge System for ASR 9006

lmn20176
Level 5
Level 5

Hi folks,

I read the deployment guide: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/145436/asr9k-nv-edge-deployment-guide, great document indeed.

But, the way we set up our stuff is pre-stage the connections, then someone else would console into those ASR 9006 and configure them at a later time, so what we did is to shutdown the 2 control links. But I've been having problem with this set up. The line card wouldn't boot up, it would just stuck in MBI-BOOTING, then ROMMON, then MBI-BOOTING. Sometimes it get into IN-RESET state.

0/0/CPU0        A9K-MOD80-TR              MBI-BOOTING      PWR,NSHUT,MON

So while waiting for my P2 TAC case to get to its turn, I decided to just set them up in nv edge. And lucky me, once they are in nv edge mode, the line cards would just come up...?Don't get me wrong, i am happy, but just scratch my head for now...We will have a lot more of these set up so want to get the process nail down. If anyone could help out, would be great. Also have a few questions:

1) How do you disconnect from run attachCon?

2) How long is that MBI-BOOTING process?

3) These ASR 9006 come with 5.2.2. Should I downgrade to 5.1.3? For the nv edge, i am not doing anything fancy...just static routes and dot1q sub-interfaces.

Thanks.

-lmn

1 Reply 1

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lmn,

1) with detach, note that if you made a typo and used backspace, it won't take it, it needs to be done in one go.

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:A9K-BNG#run attachCon 0/0/cpu0 115200
attachCon: Starting console session to node 0/0/cpu0
attachCon: To quit console session type 'detach'
attachCon: WARNING - Type only 'detach' in the shell. Do not combine other keys.
Current Baud 115200
Setting Baud to 115200
# detach
Terminating console to node 0/0/cpu0..

2) MBI boot process is about 4 minutes (or less) with 51x

3) yes recommend XR 513 for the moment unless you need the 52 features which it doesnt sound like you need. Also make sure you run and install the latest available service packs

I am somewhat puzzled also about the constant reload of this card, if it keeps reloading at somepoint the shelf manager will put it in-reset as it is giving up. The console logs from the linecard may give us some clue about the reload reason or the OBFL (on board fault logging) for that slot location may give us more detail. It is likely getting kicked because of some critical process not being able to fire and from what you're saying it seems like it is relating to nv-edge. I am theorizing here, but yeah would need more detail to say.

I looked up your case and I think I found it. I know your SE quite well, let me connect up with him and see what we can do next.

cheers

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: