Views
Helpful
Replies

RSP-4G to RSP440 upgrade

michel.renfer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Are there any recommendations for an RSP field upgrade? (RSP-4G to RSP-440).

cheers,

michel

4 Replies 4

Alexei Kiritchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michel,

There is not much of upgrade and we may think of it as a new router installation.

RSP2 cannot co-exist with RSP-440 and they run different SW (-p- vs -px-).

In short we need to save running and admin configs and prepare original licences (if any), power off asr, replace both RSP2 with RSP440 and proceed further as with a new router.

Regards,

/A

Hi Alexei

I expected this answer ;-p

The preparation of a new pair of RSPs in the lab should not be a problem.

Transfering the L3 VPN Lic's (A9K-AIP-LIC-B) seems to be 'nasty' part. IIRC the licenses are bound to the chassis s/n. So it should be possible to backup the Licenses, transfer it during preparation the new RSPs and activate them inside the change window when the new RSPs are in the chassis. Should that procedure work?

P.S. Just informational: What would happen, when removing STBY RSP2 in a running system and replacing it by a RSP440?

cheers,

michel

Hi Michel,

We should have original license files. If I properly remember back them up and restore on rsp440 won't work. In any case, if we have no original lic files, we can run the system without them with full functionality while a license team would generate new files for you.

Not sure rsp440 would be able to boot with active rsp2. An active rsp pushes automatically all OS files to a new standby to get it in sync but new RSP is Intel based, so there would a small compatibility issue

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I confirm Alexei's comment, you can not have both and RSP-2 and and RSP440 in the same chassis.

We don't have any CRS-like Active Sync migration (RP-PRP via an external fiber) on this platform.