cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show route vrf XXXX command is not showing output.

truideman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new NCS540 router configured with mpls, ospf, bgp and a few vrf's. This NCS540 has a connection with a ASR9k within the same mpls domain. The strange thing is that the command "show route vrf XXX is not showing the expected results, but only the local loopback ip address.  I need to use command "show bgp vpnv4 unicast vrf XXX to see the expected results. For my understanding the show route vrf XXX should also be working.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

14 Replies 14

show bgp vpnv4 all 
then check each VRF with it RD to see the prefix 

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have an import statement in your vrf configuration?

Sam

truideman
Level 1
Level 1

Here' s my vrf config.

vrf Internet
address-family ipv4 unicast
import route-target
64534:1
!
export route-target
64534:1
!

What code are you running and how many characters is your VRF name?

Is there a traffic impact or can you ping a route that is in your BGP VRF table?

Sam

truideman
Level 1
Level 1

My software code is Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 7.3.2

Thanks. This is a bit tricky to debug without seeing the router, are there any alarms on the router, or errors in the syslog? Is it the same behavior for all VRFs? Can you ping to any non-connected route in the vrf?

Screenshot (295).png

I run small lab and I see in both 
show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf CE 
and 
show ip route vrf CE

are the show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf CE x.x.x.x <<- check if route is receive with MPLS Lab 
and check this lab in 
show mpls forwarding 
Screenshot (296).png

Can you share the XR configs you used (since its a minimal setup)? I suspect something might be missing from the configuration we are troubleshooting.

Sam

sorry I use IOS not IOS XR,
but let explain what hapened
usually the Router use Next-hop to forward the traffic but 
the VPNv4  advertise the prefix with next-hop and label, and the router use label to forward the traffic if the label is missing then it use next-hop but next-hop for VPNv4 is not found in RIB of VRF, and hence the route is not add to RIB. 
am I right??

I wonder if we forgot redistibute connected or something like that? That would explain the next-hop not found and it was mentioned that only the loopback is showing in the vrf rib. Having the full bgp vrf config would be helpful for this scenario, the only major difference in XR is that you have to use an rpl for eBGP or we wont get any routes but thats not our issue as the bgp table has the routes.

Sam

Having the full bgp vrf config would be helpful for this scenario <<- that indeed will help us in this issue. 
thanks a lot. 

show ip bgp vpnv4 vrf x z.z.z.z <<- only share the output of prefix that not appear in VRF RIB 

Here is what I'm thinking, you have no up dataports for that VRF so there is no next hop that can be programmed. I need to test on Monday. Is this a PE or RR? RR won't install the routes.

Sam