Views
Helpful
Replies

XR - IOS QOS issue.

RAGHU N
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Masters ,

While trying  to configure QOS in ASR 9001 , I am getting the below error . Kindly help me to find a solution for it.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1/3.824897
 service-policy output ######PARENT-256K
!!% 'qos-ea' detected the 'warning' condition 'Minimum value for bandwidth configuration is 64 kbps'

Thanking You,

Ram.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

XR sw can do whatever you like :) but the "limitation" is here the NPU of the asr9k. That hardware forwarder's policer and shapers can't go lower then 64k.

Typhoon has 8k incremental steps, Trident npu has 64k incremental steps

cheers

xander

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ram, the error means that the pmap definition you have uses a bandwidth statement in any of the classes that is below 64k which can't be programmed in the shaper.

can you share with us the targeted pmap definition to pinpoint the precise issue there?

cheers!

xander

Hello Mr Alexander ,

Thanks for the reply , Is that the default behavior of XR OS , that below 64 kbps cannot be shaped ?

Thanks and regards,

RaM 

XR sw can do whatever you like :) but the "limitation" is here the NPU of the asr9k. That hardware forwarder's policer and shapers can't go lower then 64k.

Typhoon has 8k incremental steps, Trident npu has 64k incremental steps

cheers

xander

Hello Xander ,

I have pasted the template config QOS , which i have tried to config on ASR 9K.Is there any other ways to implement the same ?. Thanks in advance.

class-map match-all XYZ-GOLD
 match dscp af41
class-map match-all XYZ-SILVER
 match dscp af31
class-map match-all XYZ-BRONZE
 match precedence 0

policy-map XYZ-CHILD
 class XYZ-GOLD
  bandwidth percent 20
 class XYZ-SILVER
  bandwidth percent 60
 class XYZ-BRONZE
  bandwidth percent 20

policy-map XYZ-PARENT-128K
 class class-default
  shape average 128000
  service-policy XYZ-CHILD

Regards,

Ram

hi ram,

in this config they are all of equal priority and these three queues will be scheduled at their ratio rate 1/5 3/5 1/5, but if gold is higher priority, then you may want to consider removing the bandwdith percent on gold and apply a priority level 1 and policer to it to always schedule it ahead of silver and bronze, but that is not mandatory or anything.

cheers!

xander

Hello Mr. Xander,

Thanks for the reply , but i should implement the same on XR , due to this QOS issues , we are unable to move some customers to ASR 9k.

Regards,

Ram. 

hey ram,

just to note, whenever you change platforms, there is always a change in the qos configuration necessary. while a policy may be 1:1 translatable, the behavior due to the forwarding asics, may be different, hence it is important to qualify the behavior to make sure the service agreed can still be warranted.

So syntactically, your config will work, but depending on which platform you are migrating from, some minor tweaks and tunes may be necessary to align with the existing behavior.

cheers!

xander

Hello Xander ,

Okay got it. One more query i have . Is there any tool available to convert classic IOS config to XR config ? As we are facing very difficulties while migrating large number of customers in a single time frame. Taking long time for the conversion.

Regards,

Ram.

hey ram,

we have an indoor tool, not externally accessible that I can run your config through if you like to get the XR equivalent. Although not optimized (eg route-maps are converted to their closest RPL config) and the tool doesn't accomodate for platform specifics either, but you'll get the baseline XR config from where we can fine tune the QOS parameters should that be necessary.

Post your config and I'll send you back the XR equivalent to it.

So the tool will convert syntax (only) not hw specifics, that will be separately.

cheers!

xander

Hello Xander ,

I appreciate that . But thing is that , we are on a project to convert the customers to XR in bulk includes more than 100 customers in one shot.

Usually we do manual conversion .Any other ways for the conversion ?

Regards,

Ram.

hi ram, unfortunately, that is the best I can offer you... I dont know of any other easier/faster way...

cheers

xander