Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Switching Module (CSM): Sessions stuck in closing state

Hi guys,

I'm troubleshooting a CSM with 4.3(1).

We migrated a real server from windows to linux, since then lot's of sessions stuck in closing state until the idle timer expires.

I traced the traffic from the client to the csm and from the csm to the real server what I saw is the following behaviour at the end of a session:

windows real server: client sends FIN -> real server acks the FIN -> real server sends FIN -> client sends RST -> real server sends RST -> CSM deletes session from session table

The linux real server mostly behaves like the windows real server but sometimes behaves as follows:

client sends FIN -> real server sends  FIN, but does not ack the FIN sequence number of the client -> real server sends RST -> client sends RST -> CSM does not delete  session from session table, it stucks in closing state

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem of half-closed sessions other than decreasing the idle timeout?

Is it possible to configure CSM to close and delete sessions not only on FIN-ACK packets but also on RST packets?

Or to use a different fast idle timeout when sessions are half-closed?

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Thorsten,

this is as per design. If the idle timeout is set to 0 it means never timeout, so in these cases the CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT won't be used. Using a very high idle timeout (non 0 though) will cause the CSM to use the

CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT when applicable.

Fabrizio

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Fabrizio Pedracini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thorsten,

I remember seeing the "CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT" having a wrong value set by the CSM in some cases. The value was set to 0 instead of 10 seconds or more. Normally this timeout tells after how many seconds we reset the connection where a FIN has been detected.

Might be worth to double check the "show mod csm X variable" to verify if that is the case.

hope this helps,

Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio,

CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT is already set to 10 seconds.

What I found out while testing is that CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT works with configurations where idle timeout is configured > 0.

But when idle timeout is configured to 0 (what meas no idle timeout) the csm seems not to use CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT: Half closed sessions will stuck in closing state.

Any idea why cms behaves this way?

Regards,

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

this is as per design. If the idle timeout is set to 0 it means never timeout, so in these cases the CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT won't be used. Using a very high idle timeout (non 0 though) will cause the CSM to use the

CSM_FAST_FIN_TIMEOUT when applicable.

Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio,

is there any piece of documention in cco where I can find a statement concerning this behaviour?

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

I can't find any pointer on cco regarding this behavior.

Fabrizio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: