Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a failed redundant ACE appliance

dpastor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a failed ACE appliance that is part of a redundant pair at a remote location, will the config sync after I have the replacement connected?  Is there any preliminary config that should be accomplished(mgmt IP, etc.)?

Thanks,

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pablo.nxh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dave,

Basically the steps to swap the failed device and get it back in sync with the primary would be:

- Complete all the physical network connectivity.

- Disable config auto-sync in the primary ACE.

- Configure the management Vlan for basic network connectivity.

- Make sure the new device has the same code as the primary; if not you'll need to upgrade it.

- Install the license (if used).

- Copy all the SSL files stored in the primary APP. (If any)

- Copy the scripted keepalives (If any)

- Configure the FT interface Vlan, FT peer, FT group for the Admin context. (Be careful about the priority you assign).

- Re-enable config auto-sync on the primary APP in order to replicate the config to the standby.

Lastly make sure your backup device is in Standby_HOT status.

HTH

__ __

Pablo

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

pablo.nxh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dave,

Basically the steps to swap the failed device and get it back in sync with the primary would be:

- Complete all the physical network connectivity.

- Disable config auto-sync in the primary ACE.

- Configure the management Vlan for basic network connectivity.

- Make sure the new device has the same code as the primary; if not you'll need to upgrade it.

- Install the license (if used).

- Copy all the SSL files stored in the primary APP. (If any)

- Copy the scripted keepalives (If any)

- Configure the FT interface Vlan, FT peer, FT group for the Admin context. (Be careful about the priority you assign).

- Re-enable config auto-sync on the primary APP in order to replicate the config to the standby.

Lastly make sure your backup device is in Standby_HOT status.

HTH

__ __

Pablo

Pablo,

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Dave

can't you just swap the compact flash into the new blade?

Hello Bryan,

"Unfortunately" the disk on the ACE is not swappable as it was on the CSS.

HTH

__ __

Pablo

mark dittmer in his troubleshooting ace 2009/2010 session at cisco live said it is.

It would be really interesting to see a link from Cisco with that information; there's no part number you can ask Cisco to RMA in order to replace a faulty disk on an ACE.

__ __

Pablo

i am talking about the compact flash card. Mark Dittmer in his tshooting ACE cisco live 2010 session said if the ace fails, just pull out the compact flash and dead blade, slide in the new rma'd ace blade, an dput your old compact flash into the new blade and it willl boot up w/ the configs. you send the failed blade and new (blank) rma'd compact flash back to logistics.