cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to a device

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

After the new firmware release for the thunderbolt , having a hard time to connecting to wap4410 at first. It showed that i was connecting to BEFSR41, then all of a sudden portal asked me to log back in and it worked fine.I was able then to connect to the WAP4410N. I can't connect to ESW Switch. I get this webpage is not available.

17 Replies 17

Hi Jason,

Can you try to select "Fix Headers" and "Fix URL" under the connection tab and try again?

Thanks,

Marcos

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jason,

Also please take a look at the newly updated Thunderbolt deployment guide:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-15030

Chapter 7 documents connecting to devices from the portal, and lists some troubleshooting steps and recommended connection settings.  The ESW switch has strange caveats with it at this time because of some javascript it serves.  The deployment guide says this about connecting to the ESW-540-8P switch:

Use the default Management Port connection to port

Since performance may be an slow when accessing

this device, you should only use non-SSL connections

to this device.

There is a problem with the JavaScript on this device,

which loads a file using explicit URLs, but does not

consider situations where the port is not port 80 or

443 (the default values for HTTP and HTTPS). This can

eventually cause a timeout error.

If the timeout error occurs, wait 10 to 15 seconds

before acknowledging the timeout, so that you can

continue on to the main page. If you do not wait long

enough, you will be logged out.

-mike

If that does not help, please let us know the full text of the message returned from the ESW.

thanks,

Clare Bernier

SBTG Technical Documentation

I'm confused about this as well.  When I attempt to connec to a device it's using the "Dynamic DNS" settings, but the DDNS URL does not resolve to the IP of the WAN interface on our SA520.

Another issue will be firewalls like SA500's and ASA's that do not allow hairpinning (accessing a trusted resource using an IP/URL on the untrusted interface).  The TBA needs to be able to determine if the request is coming form inside the LAN or from outside and to adjust the URL accordingly.

Brian,

The 'xlx' (cross-launch) DNS entry points to the portal at a specific port, connections to this port are then tunneled to the appropriate device.

If you are looking for the dynamic DNS entry for the site's data network WAN address, it's:

data.site.customerid.ciscovar.com

e.g.

data.1.1024.ciscovar.com

In the future, proxy.site.customerid.ciscovar.com may refer to the voice network WAN address, which could potentially be a different address.

-mike

Brian,

Although I think Mike has cleared up the underlying confusion for the original , I thought I'd add some other details just to add extra clarity on another side of the questions.

As Mike said, we redirect the browser, during the cross launch start up, back to a special port on the portal. There we use a session cookie to map the connection through to an "on-demand" tunnel. The tunnel is initiated from the TBA to the portal and should not be recognized as site hairpin traffic (only hairpins at the portal, not the site). The tunnel will stay up as long as there is activity and the end point doesn't change to a different device.

Thanks,

Robert

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

jasbryan wrote:

After the new firmware release for the thunderbolt , having a hard time to connecting to wap4410 at first. It showed that i was connecting to BEFSR41, then all of a sudden portal asked me to log back in and it worked fine.I was able then to connect to the WAP4410N. I can't connect to ESW Switch. I get this webpage is not available.

Jason,

There has been internal discussion about the ESW switch, one recommendation was to try using IE7/8, or if you can wait for the timeout failure, Safari.  Firefox appears to have an issue with the ESW's page being launched from a referring page.  This may be something that we can provide a workaround for later in the trial, but in any case the issues have now been reported to the internal team working on the ESW switch.  Thanks for the feedback on this new feature.

-mike

I get this when connecting to the ESW:

Remote Device Not Responding

Unable to connect to remote device through tunnel. Device IP address changed or is off-line

I can tell you the IP hasn't changed and it's online as I can manage it manually.

In fact, I get the same message when I attempt to connect to the WAP4410N as well.

Brian,

Typically, this comes out when we get no response from forwarding on HTTP header information from the browser to the end point. The timeout is set at 8 seconds. Either we got and error during the read of the response headers or we got a timeout. Do you know roughly whether or not 8 seconds might have transpired or not?

Also, what browser are you using?

Thnks,

Robert

I'm on IE8, 32-bit, on Win7 x64 Ultimate.  The failure is almost instant, certainly not 8 seconds.

I'm going to have to try to replicate your setup exactly, as my virtual XP, IE7 system does work, right from fresh out of the box to fully configured with a new username and password.

Do you mind telling me what customer number you're using? With that I could try it out, with your permission. Also, if you don't mind me poking around like that, what times are best to avoid any collision with your interests?

Thanks,

Robert

Actually, today I'm really unable to do much of anything on any of our sites.  I keep getting this:

"Communication with the site has been lost. The Thunderbolt device may be rebooting."

A minute or so later the TBA will be green again.  I'm seeing this on all 4 sites.  Thoughts?

Brian,

I suspect a 'just applied' fix will cover the sites flakey statuses. Please alert us if you find the site status not completely indicative of the real state of the site now.

Robert

Brian,

Do you have 'ssl' selected for the ESW? If not, this is what I use to connect. We've tried a Win7 system and found it working.

Thanks,

Robert