cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PAP2T - Caller not getting ringback tone on incoming calls

rmteixeira
Level 1
Level 1

After several configuration rounds, almost everything seems to be working on my VoIP setup using the Cisco Linksys PAP2T-NA. The only issue I am currently experiencing is that anyone calling my number won't get a ringback tone, although my phone rings normally and if I pickup the phone the call goes through normally. But not having the ringback tone on the caller side sometimes makes them wonder if the call succeeded and then sometimes they will eventually hang up.

My SIP provider is justvoip.com and my DID is from didww.com

Anything I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot!

Ricardo.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The "target phone is ringing", also known as 'ringback' signal is sent in the direction target->caller.

There are two basic types of such message in SIP world.

The first one (type 180) is just message - "target is ringing". This type of signal carry no particular tone. It's up to caller's PBX (or even caller phone) to play audible signal.

The second one (type 183) is message "I will provide progress tones to caller by self". This type of signal starts one-way audio channel to the caller, progress tones, including the ringback one, can be passed trough it.

The first type is preferred. The ringback signal is generated at caller side - so the signal known to caller is generated (moreover no bandwidth is consumed to carry it). The second type is mostly used to carry nonstandard signal, spoken messages or so.

To make things complex, any PBX on the path may consider to change message of 180 type to 183 and vice versa.

PAP2T responds 180 all the times. According your description, it seems someone considered to claim "I will play audio signals", but then it play no signal. Or someone considered cut of the audio (not every operator allow early audio to pass thru it's network) but didn't reverted 183 message to 180 message.

It may be your VoIP provider, it's upstream provider, the provider carrying the call to PSTN, an transit PSTN operator and even originating PSTN operator on calling side.

No one will disclose call path to you - it's considered trade secret. And even if you will know it, you are not eligible to call all those operators asking them to do something. You have neither business relationship to them, nor you can provide call details (known to "previous-in-path" operator only) to them.

As I has claimed in previous comment - if calling user is affected by an issue, then he should report it to their operator. Such operator will analyze the issue and ask next-hop operator for help if necessary. Same procedure will be repeated until an operator causing the issue will be reached.

Well, you may complain to your operator, but he may be unable to help you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ringback tone is generated somewhere on the call path, but not by PAP2T. In common case the tone is generated locally by calling device itself or by callers nearest PBX.

You can do nothing with it as it's completely out of your reach. You even know no call path.

The caller needs to call support or their VOIP supplier and report the issue to them.

Dan, thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to the whole VoIP infrastructure technology. However, it's strange that anyone calling my VoIP number gets no ringback tone, regardless. Regular PSTN callers. If they call other numbers, they will get the ringback tone normally, it just doesn't happen when they call my number.

Thanks.

The "target phone is ringing", also known as 'ringback' signal is sent in the direction target->caller.

There are two basic types of such message in SIP world.

The first one (type 180) is just message - "target is ringing". This type of signal carry no particular tone. It's up to caller's PBX (or even caller phone) to play audible signal.

The second one (type 183) is message "I will provide progress tones to caller by self". This type of signal starts one-way audio channel to the caller, progress tones, including the ringback one, can be passed trough it.

The first type is preferred. The ringback signal is generated at caller side - so the signal known to caller is generated (moreover no bandwidth is consumed to carry it). The second type is mostly used to carry nonstandard signal, spoken messages or so.

To make things complex, any PBX on the path may consider to change message of 180 type to 183 and vice versa.

PAP2T responds 180 all the times. According your description, it seems someone considered to claim "I will play audio signals", but then it play no signal. Or someone considered cut of the audio (not every operator allow early audio to pass thru it's network) but didn't reverted 183 message to 180 message.

It may be your VoIP provider, it's upstream provider, the provider carrying the call to PSTN, an transit PSTN operator and even originating PSTN operator on calling side.

No one will disclose call path to you - it's considered trade secret. And even if you will know it, you are not eligible to call all those operators asking them to do something. You have neither business relationship to them, nor you can provide call details (known to "previous-in-path" operator only) to them.

As I has claimed in previous comment - if calling user is affected by an issue, then he should report it to their operator. Such operator will analyze the issue and ask next-hop operator for help if necessary. Same procedure will be repeated until an operator causing the issue will be reached.

Well, you may complain to your operator, but he may be unable to help you.

Dan,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info! I contacted both my VoIP and my DID provider to try and get some help. The VoIP provider wasn't of much help, but DIDWW ran some traces and they were able to identify something in their system that solved the issue. Curiously, I am getting a US-type ringback (DT) instead of a Brazilian ringback tone (420 Hz single freq), even when calling from Brazilian terminals. Not really a big deal, just got me curious about who is actually generating the tones. But I am now happy with the setup.

Again, thanks a lot for the assistance!

Ricardo.

just got me curious about who is actually generating the tones

I suspect it's DIDWW.