Replies

Not able to send a message through XMPP IM URL

jalladi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to send a message through XMPP IM URL like below:

xmpp:abc@cisco.com?message;body=Hello

but it is not sending message and opening a chat window with abc@cisco.com?message.

xmpp:abc@cisco.com is opening a chat window properly.

Guide me on how to send message using XMPP URL.

Thanks,

Jayasree

9 Replies 9

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jayasree,

Message routing between organizations is handled by DNS lookup for the domain, which is included along with the user ID. When your

XMPPclient (Jabber) sends a message to user1@remotedomain.com .Your XMPP server (CUPS )will look up the XMPP service record (SRV) for remotedomain.com with DNS and forward your message to the remote organization.

To enable XMPP for your organization you need to do four things

1. Configure DNS

2. Enable XMPP Federation

3. Activate Service

4. Allow XMPP Through Firewall

Request you to refer these documents for related information

CUPS XMPP Federation Quick Start.pdf | Unified Communications Applications | Cisco Support Community | 5971 | 9868806

XMPP Federation Between CUPS and Other Servers - Cisco

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Hi gcheria,

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to send a message through jabber xmpp server with in the same domain. I am able to open a chat window using

xmpp:gcheria@cisco.com but could not able to send a message using xmpp:gcheria@cisco.com?message;body=Hello

Could you help me out with correct POC who can answer this whether jabber client supports sending default message with xmpp tag programmatically?

Thanks,

Jayasree

Hi Jayasree,

Just adding a doc that i came through a document which may be helpfull - XMPP: A Power Tool in Your Tool Box

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Hi Jayasree,

When I put the URL xmpp:user@domain.com?message;body=Testing%20One%20Two%20Three, it opens a Jabber window and places the text in the message area.  Is that what you are looking for?

This only works for me in Firefox and Internet Explorer, though.  It doesn't work in Chrome, although that may be because I'm using the development branch of Chrome.

Thanks,

Nicholas

HI Nicholas,

Thanks for your reply. I am expecting the same when I hit this URI, it should send message to the user through jabber window. But it is not working for me in any of the browsers. Please find the attachment.

Jabber client version: 9.1.5 build 14083

Firefox version: 32.0

Appreciate your helpjabberxmppsendmsg.png

Hi Nicholas,

When I use xmpp:makataka@cisco.com it opens jabber window perfectly for that user. But I am facing an issue with sending message through xmpp.

jabberopenwindow.png

Okay, I was using 10.5.  I downgraded to 9.2.7 and got the same behavior.  Is it feasible for you to upgrade?  Here's the link for downloads: Cisco Systems

Hi Nicholas,

Did you raise a bug with jabber client team? Let me know where should I post the defect for the same?

Also, I have tested this in 10.5 and it is pasting the message in the text area but not sending the message. Is there any way to send message from xmpp URI?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jayasree

As I posted in a related thread, the desired behavior is to populate the message area with the message but not send the message without user interaction.  This prevents malicious web pages from sending Jabber messages on your behalf without your intervention. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: