Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

APIC-EM GUI access hangs after reboot

This behavior is very consistent - to recover out of the condition need to do every time a "reset_grapevine backup_restore".

I am sure I am missing something but I haven't found anything in documentation of by googling it - on the surface all seems fine.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated - can't really do my POC if I have to reset it every time

Running w/ 22G RAM, 6vCPU. This is what I am doing (after fresh install or after reset_grapevine backup_restore")

- login to GUI

- growing a few more services (task_service, topology, network_poller, etc) - making sure in "host" tab resource consumption is "green"

- then in CLI "gracefully" shut down

grape host display : obtain host_id

grape host evacuate <host_id>  (then checking task for completion)

grapectl shutdown

sudo shutdown -h now

After shutdown & poweroff I start VM again

grape host display : obtain host_id

grape host enable <host_id>

Get in CLI to check services - once the core services are running

Trying to login in GUI (e.g. developer console https://<apic-em-ip>:14141)- no luck - the waiting wheel spins forever

gui_hangs.jpg

Then I manually grow a few more services I assume should run (postgres, rbac, etc) - tough luck, same behavior, cannot login in GUI.

Here are my running services at this point  ( grape instance status)

services_running.jpg

Resource consumption is absolutely minimal at this point

host_info.jpg

From multiple tries at this point only way out is either reinstall or "reset_grapevine backup_restore"

Everyone's tags (7)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Re: APIC-EM GUI access hangs after reboot

Answered my own question - I was using an older shutdown / restart procedure - now with 1.3.3 the right sequence is the following

Power Down

sudo /home/grapevine/bin/harvest_all_clients

sudo shutdown -h now

Power On

grape config update enable_policy true

That's it and it kind of works just that it starts ALL the clients and I probably do not need all for a lab POC

Now the "grape config update" has other options like "enable_dev_mode" or "low_memory_install"  - but haven't been able to find anywhere any documentation or thread on how to use these. Any suggestion?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Beginner

Answered my own question - I was using an older shutdown / restart procedure - now with 1.3.3 the right sequence is the following

Power Down

sudo /home/grapevine/bin/harvest_all_clients

sudo shutdown -h now

Power On

grape config update enable_policy true

That's it and it kind of works just that it starts ALL the clients and I probably do not need all for a lab POC

Now the "grape config update" has other options like "enable_dev_mode" or "low_memory_install"  - but haven't been able to find anywhere any documentation or thread on how to use these. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Hi Ro,

the other commands are not for general use.

As you know, the commands for shutdown/restore are here: Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module Deployment Guide, Release 1.3.x - Deploying the …

There are interdependencies between the services, so this is why they are all started.  You can turn off some services-bundles (IWAN - which is it's own bundle post 1.3.2) and Pnp.  You can do this from the admin/app-management menu.

Adam

Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards