cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for JTAPI monitoring server

harris.scott
Level 1
Level 1

We're working on a server to receive and handle JTAPI messages from CUCM. In the dev guide, I note that the default behavior of the Cisco JTAPI implementation spawns a new thread for each observer:

"Normally, when an application adds a new observer to a JTAPI object, the Cisco JTAPI implementation creates an event queue and an accompanying worker thread to service the new observer. If the same observer is added to another object, its queue and thread are reused; in effect, every unique observer object has a single queue and worker thread"

The problem with this is that we're going be monitoring up to 10,000 objects (addresses/terminals/calls), and I'd really like to avoid starting that many threads. I know that we can implement the CiscoSynchronousObserver Interface to turn off this behavior, and then we can just spawn threads as we need them to do time consuming operations--this is the direction I'm leaning right now.

My question is this: has anyone written an app that monitors 10,000 or more JTAPI objects using the default behavior (i.e., spawning a new thread for each observer)? If so, what how did the server perform with so many threads? What type of server did you use (Linux or Windows)? Are there any recommendations regarding Best Practices for monitoring so many objects?

Thanks,

Scott

4 Replies 4

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

I would request you to refer this url JTAPI Monitoring Scalability for related information.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

amoherek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

The JTAPI implementation now manages multiple observers per thread, so the behavior described should no longer be an issue. We will update the documentation to reflect this.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Adrienne,

Is there any documentation, at all, on how the new threading model works? As of now, we've decided to receive all JTAPI messages on a single thread, and then spawn new threads, as necessary, to actually process the messages we care about (we ignore the rest).

Hi Scott,

There is no documentation on how threading works.

thanks,

Adrienne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: