cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Silence with SPANless call recorder

NickLynch35638
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to build a SPANless call recorder. It's registered as a SIP trunk and hooked up as a call recorder. I have a phone setup for automatic recording and when it's on a call I get 2 INVITEs and then 2 RTP streams. It does work but only sometimes.

Most of the time I get silence in both RTP streams. By silence I mean all audio samples are equal to 127. However, if I restart the phones I will get the correct audio streams (I can convert them to WAV and listen to them). It also tends to work if I apply config to the phones from admin which is probably causing them to re-register themselves.

There is a routing number for the call recorder and if I dial that directly I always get the stream (only 1 stream since it's just a phone call in this case).

I'm using IPBlue softphones - both of which are running on the same box. Because of the pandemic I haven't had a chance to try any hard phones yet. I noticed that when the call is being recorded the phone will push 2 RTP streams to the CM - one for each participant (non recorded calls just stream directly to the far end and don't involve CM). I used Wireshark and it's sending the correct audio, even when the call recorder gets silence. There must be something going on between CM -> Call Recorder Trunk.

I also get an error tone played back on the phones if I accept both INVITEs. But the audio streams still work - when they work. If I only accept 1 INVITE the phone does not play the error tone. Not sure if this is related.

1 Reply 1

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"I'm using IPBlue softphones - both of which are running on the same box" makes it shaky to try and guess possible reasons.  I would certainly try this using Jabber or Cisco IP Communicator (from separate PCs) before diving in too deep into troubleshooting...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: