cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are APs part of the SD-Access Overlay?

UncleJP
Level 1
Level 1

Which description of an SD-Access wireless network infrastructure deployment is true?

• A. The access point is part of the fabric overlay.
  • B. The wireless client is part of the fabric overlay.
  • C. The access point is part of the fabric underlay.
  • D. The WLC is part of the fabric underlay.

Correct answer: A

I was wondering, aren't all physical devices considered to be in the underlay? And, isn't the overlay the logical network that sits on top of these devices?

Best regards,

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I think that there is some general confusion with access points. This is my understanding:

The fabric border, intermediate and edge nodes participate in the underlay (global routing table) on which the logical overlay networks are then formed as you correctly say. Access points and extended nodes are the slight exception here for infrastructure devices as they are associated to the INFRA_VN, which technically operates in the fabric overlay (LISP/EID space), even though it maps directly to the global routing table.

I would agree that A is correct.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I think that there is some general confusion with access points. This is my understanding:

The fabric border, intermediate and edge nodes participate in the underlay (global routing table) on which the logical overlay networks are then formed as you correctly say. Access points and extended nodes are the slight exception here for infrastructure devices as they are associated to the INFRA_VN, which technically operates in the fabric overlay (LISP/EID space), even though it maps directly to the global routing table.

I would agree that A is correct.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Hope this helps