cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefits of adding coverage areas and location regions to maps

Charlie Jones
Level 1
Level 1

I am running DNAC 2.3.5.5-70026 in a three-node cluster, non-SDA.  My wireless network is based on 5520's and 2800 AP's.   Are there any benefits for adding coverage areas and location regions to my wireless maps?  We also have Cisco Spaces as a replacement for CMX.  Is there any tie-in from setting these options on my maps with Spaces?  I haven't found information to state what the benefit is for adding these to my maps.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By placing the APs on the maps in Catalyst Center you will see estimated coverage areas in both 2d and 3d.  By integrating Catalyst Center with CMX or Cisco Spaces you will see the hyper location data of a client in Client 360 to help troubleshoot wireless issues.

I can't find a great video of this feature on the Cisco youtube channel, but there are some from third parties that you might find useful.  

Hi, Thanks for replying.

We are placing AP's on our maps.  We are also drawing in walls or using CAD drawings for obtaining this data.  I was asking if there is any benefit to also create coverage and inclusion/exclusion areas in our maps.   To me, it appears that this is just for informational purposes.  

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My understanding from some conversations I had internally with engineering is that 3d maps are designed to do a better job of taking into account walls and coverage areas, but with more improvements yet to come.  2d maps currently don't take coverage areas into account and are a lower priority to improve.  Feel free to submit a Make a Wish from the Catalyst Center help menu to voice your opinion on the need for improvement.

Charlie Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for sharing your insight on this.  We are migrating to new WLC's this year and then will be working on replacing AP's over the next couple of years.  I am hopeful that we will start receiving more CAD drawings of our branches to take adavantage of the new functionality.