Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Center telemetry

KevinR99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a Cat9800 already added to Catalyst Center without learning the config.  It has a load of telemetry settings already in place pointing to, I think, a Prime system via its IP address.  I had a look at what Cat Center pushes out if we push telemetry and assurance config out from it and it uses named telemetry destinations.  So it creates so e config to define the Cat Center as a named destination.  Then the telemetry config refers to that name.  I tried to manually configure this as a test but when I then try to create a telemetry subscription IOS XE rejects the command because it already has an IP address based telemetry config in place.  So my question is, what happens if I force a telemetry update from Cat Center.  Will it delete the current settings and apply the Cat Center config or will will the telemetry push just fail requiring me to manually delete the current config before pushing out a new config from Cat Center?  As an aside can I be sure pushing out the telemetry, assurance settings and any related certificates it creates will not affect my AP registrations and GUI access?

Thanks as always, Kev.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...what happens if I force a telemetry update from Cat Center.
  - I would advise to just go ahead with that ; it will not affect APs neither GUI access.

Use these commands on the 9800 controller to verify the status of telemetry :
           show telemetry ietf subscription all
            show telemetry ietf subscription 23 detail
            show telemetry internal subscription all stats
            show telemetry internal connection <0-4294967294> detail
            show telemetry ietf subscription configured

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you but what will happen to the existing telemetry config.  Will it be deleted, added to or will the Cat Center commands be rejected because it tries to apply config based on a named destination and there is currently config based on an IP address destination.

- I think all of that does not matter too much  and I don't think that the forced push from catalyst center will be rejected ; you can always examine the 9800 controller logs after doing so and look for errors if any. You can also directives still pointing to Prime manually from the running configuration , if desired , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I _believe_ the provisioning will fail, but I am not sure. I would remove the old config and either use the features offered by the "Telemetry" portion of the network design menu to re-provision the Prime related config, or provision it using a named destination in a template.

If you have a lot of devices with said config you can replace it using a template using the ignore compliance flags:

! @start-ignore-compliance
no { the command to be removed }
no { the command to be removed }
! @end-ignore-compliance

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev