Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Provision, Plug & Play, Discvry and Lan Automation

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. 
Can anyone please explain me what is the difference between Device Privisioning, Plug and Play and Lan Automation? 

I went through some Cisco DNA Center documentations but could not get the idea of them. 

What makes them different: Plug n Play, Discovery, Lan Automation

Thank You. 

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

plug-and play is used to detect when a new unconfigured device is connected to your network infrastructure
the device registers itself with dna-center/catalyst-center and then you can select (day-zero) templates to send to the device

device provisioning is fine-tuning the devices configuration, by sending individual (day-n) templates to the device
day-n templates can be assigned per site / per model /per series etc

lan automation is a mechanism where no CLI connection to the device is made, 
but an API programming interface is used to send query and configure commands to DNA-center,
which in turn translate this to configuration commands to the device
in the optimal situation DNA-center translates the API command to a CLI command suitable for a physical device/ IOS version

thanks for the info, but differences are not clear to me. 

these are different steps in the process of configuring a network device

1) PnP  is for out-of-the box/initial configuration, so that the switch gets a basic/default configuration
    so it can be managed remotely and cooperate with your other network equipment
   this involves software distribution and configuration using a template with commands
   this template is called called day-zero template

2) provisioning is a next step to modify the configuration as needed for a specific purpose
    some configuration here could also be included in the day-zero template ,
    but there can be advantages to do some commands using day-N templates 

you need a design how to divide configuration commands between day-zero and day-n templates  
e.g. you have a basic template for ALL switches, and an extra day-n template for site-A (but not for site-B)

3) LAN automation is very broad subject, 
    in short it is automatically reconfiguring your network when a specific trigger occurs
   (really configuration change, not only redundant routes or so)
    => if THIS happens, how do I reconfigure the network to route traffic as I want it (without manual intervention)

DJW487
Level 1
Level 1

I just noticed the LAN Automation option after updating to 2.3.5.5. Will have to have a play with it

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

LAN Automation is only to automatically provision SDA devices. Where it will automatically setup a seed VLAN and port on switches, and then configure interfaces, name, and protocols for SDA on the devices, connected to those ports.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/tech_notes/b_dnac_sda_lan_automation_deployment.html