Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Centre and Device Tracking

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently migrated my Wired switches from Prime Infrastructure to DNA Centre. I didn't want the migration to impact on any Switch configs at the moment so I migrated all the devices to a site on DNAC specifically for these devices, which has no profiles or templates attached.

However, I've noticed that the config of the switches has changed. On some switches it's created a new Device Policy called IPDT_POLICY, and on other switches it's removed the following config I had previously set

• ip device tracking probe delay 10
  • ip device tracking
  • ip device tracking probe auto-source fallback 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255

Which seems to have essentially changed the device tracking configuration/behaviour??

I suspect this is because I have device controllability enabled??

Can anyone explain what DNAC does for Device Tracking when adding devices as I wasn't expecting this behaviour and I think it may start to re-introduce a DHCP "BAD_ADDRESS" problem which it was enabled to prevent. There doesn't appear to be any consistency to it, the config changes DNAC has applied appear to be difference on each switch (although there could be some pattern between models, IOS version, etc??)

Would appreciate any ideas to help explain what's happened?

2 Replies 2

Hi

If you can, I would recommend a TAC for this. As per your description you added the switch on the DNAC only for Assurance and monitororing, right? No Fabric?

If that so, no change on the device should be made. Adding devices on the DNAC for that purpose, in my undertanding,  should be just like we do on Cisco Prime. No changes.

I got in a situation similar to that in the recent past  but, in my situation, the switch was actually in Fabric mode. Out of the blue some changes on the interfaces was noticed and we had many incidentes.

If you have no Fabric,  I  would recommend to keep "device controllability disable"

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is expected behavior with Device Controllability enabled during site assignment.  The features involved are documented on the System Settings page to enable/disable Device controllability.  Yes, the changes can depend on hardware and software versions.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card