Replies

DNA Centre Template deployment for large amount of router types

Sklarby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Relatively new to Cisco DNA Centre. 

We're running version 2.3.3.7

We have a template that we're trying to deploy to majority of our switching and routing estate. Created the template in Template Editor, assigned the correct device types (all switches and routers)

Then created a network profile, chose type switching, assigned it to the relevant sites, and included the template under Day-N Templates and can see it has the correct Device Type(s) (Routers + Switches & Hubs). 

When going to provision this works totally fine on switches as expected, however on routers it does not, partly confusing as yes it is a switching template but it lets you choose routers under Device Type. Fine, will try the routing profile instead

Create a Routing network profile, but this is where I run into issues. If I was to create a routing profile, with 0 Service Providers, and 1 device i.e. ISR4351, with no Router LAN Configuration in the profile, no integrated Switch Configuration, and just the Template attached under Day-N Templates this seems to work...if I provision one single 4351 with this template at a time. 

The issue is we have 200+ routers, of different models, and I'd like to deploy this template to all of them, either in one swoop, or similar to the switches where I can deploy it to all routers of the same model in one task. When adding more devices to the routing network profile, it looks like this has to match exactly to the site i.e. if I choose 2 4351's in my routing profile, then Site A has too have two 4351's and match exactly for provisioning to work properly.

The question I have, is there a better way to deploy small configuration updates (not using command runner) to large amounts of routers in one go, similar to how easily this works with switches, where I can deploy a template to 100's of 9300 switches in one go?

If not I'll look into spinning up a simple python script outside of DNA Centre.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think there's a better way than using python.  I agree there needs to be a more switch like method for router profiles.  You could help the community out if you submit a Make a Wish to tell the Product Managers this use case.

I will be doing the same.  Making a wish.