Views
Helpful
Replies

Find Missing/down CW9Cisco Catalyst 9800-40 Wireless Controller

Deepseadata
Level 1
Level 1

Gui question.

Someone installed 190 WAPs and a couple Controllers without documenting anything because they said it's all in the web interface. The WAPs aren't physically visibile. I've been unplugging some WAPs to see where they list as "down" but I can't find them even if I search for their MAC. Once I plug them back in and they're booted I see the total number of "UP" WAPS and then search the MAC and it is found. I see WAP listed in the Joining Stats when they come back up but that's about it. I need to know what is down because their physical location is configured in the web interface so I need that to find and fix/replace the WAPs when they fail.

There must be a simple way to list "down" WAPS that I'm missing. I've been searching in Monitor, Configurion and on the Dashboard without any love. It's time to ask the hive mind. 

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What AP Model, what Verison of code WLC running ?

If all setup as expected - if the AP go Down you should see in the dashboard joined AP and not joined AP.

balajibandi_0-1711386111261.png

You can also view down AP - Monitor ---> Wireless --> APStatistics

If you have MAPS  Example - Prime or DNAC that is easy to find based on the location - if not you need to take AP description or belong area and check the on the switchport - where they connected to replace.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks so much for the reply.

Ver. 17.9.4a

Yes, when a WAP indeed goes down it ends up in the Not Joined list. Unfortunately, it just shows stats and I can no longer inspect its configuration. In it's configuration, for Location, I've been configuring them to say, "In deckhead panel aft of door and forward of sprinkler head." But when the WAP goes down... I'm no longer able to access that info (because it's part of the config). 

I can find the WAP using "show mac mac address table | include 13e1.eb23.12e3" for exmple but that means I need to login and drill down from Core, Disctribution then finally the workgroup switch interface which doesn't have a good description of the WAP's location on it either. 

When there's a lot of people depending on that WAP... looking around for it like a boob is my least favorite thing to do. That's why I always go overboard with interface or device location descriptions.... but I missed my chance when these guys did the install because I was on leave. 

So... maybe the WLC doesn't actually strore the WAP's config? Surely it does. I just either need to use CLI or figure another way. I think we do have a Prime license but it's never been setup here and I'm not sure I'll have the time to set it up either.

Use DNAC or any 3rd party tool. 

I primary use AKiPS.  It keeps a 30-day record where a MAC address or an IP was last seen.