Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN automation provisioning.

nathanmonteyne0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

So I hope someone can help me out below you will see a little sketch on what it is I'm trying to achieve.
So I want to discover and provision switch 3 and 4 through LAN automation. now I know for LAN automation the ports need to be in VLAN 1 but even when I change the config to do that it still doesn't work.
Only time it works is through pnpa service reset and write erase on switch 2 and then restart the LAN automation process then It also discovers and provisions switch 3 and 4 but I don't want to do that with 20 switches.
Can you guys advise on how to still start a succesfull LAN automation for switch 3 and 4 without doing a write erase on switch 2?

part of port config:
switchport mode access
device-tracking attach-policy *******
no logging event link-status
no snmp trap link-status
dot1x *********
dot1x ************
source template DefaultWiredDot1xClosedAuth
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
ip nbar protocol-discovery

nathanmonteyne0_0-1700034122745.png

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what tools you using for Lan Automation ?

if you looking DNAC (Catalyst center now) follow below Link :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/tech_notes/b_dnac_sda_lan_automation_deployment.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you attempting to do the LAN automation with switch 1 as a seed device with peer 2 being a "seed peer"? If so that will not work, all new devices must be connected either directly or indirectly to the primary seed device. To successfully do LAN automation for switch 3 and 4 you would start the process with switch 2 being the primary seed device and without a peer device.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

I am starting it from switch 2 but even when I delete the config so that the port is in VLAN 1 it just doesn't work.
But as soon as I reset switch 2 and start a LAN automation with seed device switch 1 to discover switch 2 then  it will also automatically do switch 3 and 4. But in my case most of the time for all seperate locations switch 2 is already done but the rest underneath that isn't 

Okay, that should be working.

What switch model is switch 2? What does the port configuration look like on SW2 while running the lan-automation discovery? Can you see switch 3 & 4 as discovered at all? Can you see anything PNP related of interest on the console of switch 3 and 4?

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

switch model is a C9300 they are all a C9300

Below is the switch config after Switch 2 is discovered through LAN automation on a port

switchport mode access
device-tracking attach-policy *******
no logging event link-status
no snmp trap link-status
dot1x *********
dot1x ************
source template DefaultWiredDot1xClosedAuth
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
ip nbar protocol-discovery

Even when deleting all this it is still not discovering switch 3 & 4. Also no related PNP info on switch 3 and 4

Can I ask you how the problem was fixed?

We had several issues with this going on,
Also that only 2 fabric edges can be placed after each other and then an extended node
Also there was an error listed in the plug an play that apparently stopped the whole progress of other switches being discovered.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card