Views
Helpful
Replies

NBAR and CBAR

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community!

Can anyone tell me about CBAR and how does it work in DNA Center. I know that it is a Controller-based App classifcation. 

Actually I want to monitor Skype and ms Teams. I added them using Application Visiblity and I want them to appear in Application Health in Assurance. I am unable to see them in Application Health in Assurance. I just see dns, dhcp and unknown app. 

Thank you in Advance.
Ahmed 

9 Replies 9

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NBAR signatures are local to the network device.  They get upgraded automatically via IOS upgrades but also by downloading newer nbar protocol packs.  Catalyst Center can help you manage these protocol packs from Provision->Application Visibility->Network Devices Enablement. (I recommend adding the column for "Protocol Pack version" to your view. I'd guess that the signatures in your network are out of date.  CBAR aims to eliminate the need for this widespread management of signatures and solves the problem of classification of traffic that experiences asymetric routing. 

Check out the nbar/cbar section of this cisco live presentation for some more detail.  https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?zid=pp&search=BRKOPS-2150#/session/16360599830770017xok

Also, there are release notes published for each NBAR protocol pack that will mention which protocls got updated.

For example:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_nbar/prot_lib/config_library/pp4300/nbar-prot-pack4300/rel-notes.html

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo!
Thank you for your answer. As far as I am looking at DNA Center, the Signatures are up to date. The problem is that I can see only three to four applications showing in Assurance (Application Health tab). My question is How can I customize applications of my choice and see them using Assurance (Application Health)?
Second question is: Which section of DNA is really intended for Application Monitoring and Issue Solving, the Application Visibility Part or the Application Assurance part? I would very thankful for an explanation in this regard. 

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First you need to determine if the application you are interested in is listed in Provision->Application Visibility.  It's probably there already.

Second make sure you have done Enable Application Telemetry on your cat9k access switches.  That's where Ca.talyst Center will learn of the application

Third, use the Applications tab in the Assurance->Health Dashboard to troubleshoot issues.

Note, you won't see application heatlh scores until you perform Enable Application Telemetry on a WLC (for locally switched wireless traffic) or an ASR1k/ISR4k/Cat8k.   

Hello Presten

Thank you for your reply. I have already enabled Telemetry on the Switch. I can also see Application Set in Application Visibility. But the problem is that I cannot bring the Application (for example skype, ms-teams, etc.) into Application Assurance because I want to see the performance of those Applications. I searched all the DNA Manuals, I really could not find my answer. Actually the DNA manual is not so perfect I suppose. Could you please through light on this??? 
Thank you. 

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please carefully review the Design Guide.  I'm confident your answer is in there.  https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/dnac-application-assurance-design-guide-2020mar.pdf

Dear Preston.

I have been studying the manual the whole month. I couldn't find what I wanted. My question is simple and straight forward. Need expert suggestion. 

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also, you can use show ip nbar commands on the access switches that you think should have the type of traffic you want and see if it's being detected there.  If it is, check that netflow is configured to send the information to Catalyst Center.

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

I checked there, in Application Visibility, there are tabs such as Applications, Application Set and Discovered Applications, If you go to application set, there are different categories of applications. I created an Application Set and I dragged Skype, ms-teams and some more apps which i want to monitor. Now my question is "What is the Role of Application Visibility Here and How can I monitor these Applications and their health in Assurance Section"??? Thank you very much

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Preston Chilcote, I did a full research on Application Assurance and Visibility. I actually found that with Application Visibility you can just see the categories and classifications of Apps which NBAR did, you can also  categorise and classify applications based on your preferences. This part of DNA Center (Application Visibility) can be useful in cases when you want to do Policing or QoS, so from here you can create custom Application-sets which can be then added to Application Policy. Also, the Application Assurance is something not relevant to the Application Visibility part. Application Assurance will automatically show Apps whenever you enable Telemetry on your devices within an Enterprise. Thank you.