Views
Helpful
Replies

No Internet Access from DNA GUI

zachartl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Through the course of DNA upgrade 2.1.2.7 to 2.2.2.6. We landed on the DNA Updates Phase. There, we found that the updates access was failing. Upon further inspection via packet captures, we found that DNA wasn't attempting DNS lookups from the GUI, ostensibly so it could use the connect website for updates. If we log in to the Maglev Shell, we can ping 8.8.8.8 and if we specify one of our DNS servers via nslookup within the Shell, we can resolve FQDNs fine. This is a 3-node cluster and all 3 nodes appear to be stuck at this juncture. We're not using a Proxy Server. We're not using a Firewall within the data center. No changes to the network environment. All 3 DNA Nodes were getting updates just fine prior to the upgrade attempt.

Thank you,

Terry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Thank you for having responded to the inquiry. As it turned out, I later found (while awaiting Cisco TAC response - weeks later) that I had to enter the KVM -> Maglev Configuration Wizard and re-enter the DNS configuration. This fixed us. The DNA Updates resumed immediately. And then this happened again. Just after System Update (another one). This time, I over-wrote the DNS configuration within the Maglev Configuration Wizard and that got us going again and the Updates that followed the System Update resumed. If this is a Bug, then I'm attempting to report it here. We're now at version 2.2.2.8

We've a 3 Node DNA Cluster utilizing the C480s. I haven't attempted a System Update since and it appears the next step would be upgrade to 2.2.3.3 (according to the DNA GUI within the System Updates view). I'm still wondering if this is fixed in the upgrade or if I will have to re-enter the Maglev Network Configuration upon upgrade to get the updates working again, post System Update.

TAC response/experience was disappointing. They suspected we had some firewall in place that was stopping update/Internet access. They asked for screen scrapes from the Maglev shell, pinging 8.8.8.8. I conducted those pings from all 3 nodes and all 3 were successful. We never had an Internet access problem. I reported that too. I also conducted nslookups within the Maglev shells, sending that output to TAC as well as a packet capture, reflecting our DNA cluster's comms and the fact that no DNS queries were sent from the Cluster. In the end, I got tired of awaiting TAC's response and started digging and inevitably investigated the Maglev network configuration and found the absence of DNS servers there.

SR 692646473 : DNAC Will Not Update nor Validate Cisco Credentials nor Cisco Smart Account

Thank you again for your prompt response. Let me know if you need any additional information or would like to discuss.

Happy Holidays!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Thank you for having responded to the inquiry. As it turned out, I later found (while awaiting Cisco TAC response - weeks later) that I had to enter the KVM -> Maglev Configuration Wizard and re-enter the DNS configuration. This fixed us. The DNA Updates resumed immediately. And then this happened again. Just after System Update (another one). This time, I over-wrote the DNS configuration within the Maglev Configuration Wizard and that got us going again and the Updates that followed the System Update resumed. If this is a Bug, then I'm attempting to report it here. We're now at version 2.2.2.8

We've a 3 Node DNA Cluster utilizing the C480s. I haven't attempted a System Update since and it appears the next step would be upgrade to 2.2.3.3 (according to the DNA GUI within the System Updates view). I'm still wondering if this is fixed in the upgrade or if I will have to re-enter the Maglev Network Configuration upon upgrade to get the updates working again, post System Update.

TAC response/experience was disappointing. They suspected we had some firewall in place that was stopping update/Internet access. They asked for screen scrapes from the Maglev shell, pinging 8.8.8.8. I conducted those pings from all 3 nodes and all 3 were successful. We never had an Internet access problem. I reported that too. I also conducted nslookups within the Maglev shells, sending that output to TAC as well as a packet capture, reflecting our DNA cluster's comms and the fact that no DNS queries were sent from the Cluster. In the end, I got tired of awaiting TAC's response and started digging and inevitably investigated the Maglev network configuration and found the absence of DNS servers there.

SR 692646473 : DNAC Will Not Update nor Validate Cisco Credentials nor Cisco Smart Account

Thank you again for your prompt response. Let me know if you need any additional information or would like to discuss.

Happy Holidays!

Hi zachartl

how have you been able to "re-enter" the maglev wizard from KVM / CIMC, I don't see an option yet to restart the maglev wizard from there / while booting.

Thanks and best regards

Dominic

ogthundercat
Level 1
Level 1

You can enter the setup wizard from CLI with this command: sudo maglev-config update