cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I'm giving up on CML againg

Tom -K
Level 1
Level 1

I give up working with CML any longer, it is not representative of the current techniques that Cisco puts away in the market. It is also not compatible with Cisco cerfi. The nodes that are supplied by default can no longer be used when preparing CCNP enterprise and certainly not accessible for the CCNP security certification.
I expected that Cisco would have come closer to its certification path with the CML 2.0.
It was worth a try, unfortunately CML falls short in many ways. In the trade-off which software to use for Network Virtualization is not the first choice.
In my perception packet tracer is above CML in terms of applicability for CCNP / CCIE certification.

It's a shame, the marketing did a lot of good to believe.

In summary:
The price / quality ratio is not in proportion, not at all if it is compared with its competitors, for example EVE-NG.
Poor performance , high CPU load 70% CPU load with starting and using 2 nodes.
(For the configuration the white papers from Cisco were used)
The use of 20 nodes is not feasible with Intel i5 / 24 GB ram in combination with VMwork station 15.5
Images are no longer representative
The number of images is very limited in the baseline of CML
CML is not aligned to use the CCNP and CCIE (ENCOR ) lab manual.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I agree CML is resource-heavy.  You need to have server-based box with at least 2 Intel CPUs and lots of memory; more if you want to run 64-bit images (XRv and NX9k). I don't think CML supposed to be aligned with any Cisco certs or lab manuals. You can still do some labs towards your certification topics.  

However, I do not think Packet Tracer is above CML; PT is good only for CCNA level but not for CCNP/CCIE levels.

You can always use free online CML via DevNet Sandbox.  see https://developer.cisco.com/docs/sandbox/#!networking/networking-sandbox-highlights

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

a-gould
Level 1
Level 1

In case it helps, I have a few CML videos on my channel...

https://youtu.be/rkb1W03ibBo

Hi a-gould,

I have watched your channel.

Great explanations and lot stuf t watch.

I still want to try other  supplyers which are more aligned  with my  needs .

Regards  Tom

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I agree CML is resource-heavy.  You need to have server-based box with at least 2 Intel CPUs and lots of memory; more if you want to run 64-bit images (XRv and NX9k). I don't think CML supposed to be aligned with any Cisco certs or lab manuals. You can still do some labs towards your certification topics.  

However, I do not think Packet Tracer is above CML; PT is good only for CCNA level but not for CCNP/CCIE levels.

You can always use free online CML via DevNet Sandbox.  see https://developer.cisco.com/docs/sandbox/#!networking/networking-sandbox-highlights

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Tom -K
Level 1
Level 1

Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

My expectation of CML as a sequel or successor to PT was not correct. Where PT does not cover CCNP sec, for example, CML was a good replacement in my opinion. I made the comparison with much frustration and disappointment and perhaps I could have read better about the applicability of CML.

Regards Tom