Views
Helpful
Replies

Proximity support for Linux

Elektordi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there any roadmap for Linux support of Cisco Proximity? Or is there any workaround I can use to stream my screen to our Telepresence SX80 system?

We are many users to use Linux (Ubuntu or Debian depending of users) in our company and we would like to get rid of the HDMI cable running on the floor... ;)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

8 Replies 8

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Elektordi,
we do not have any plans for a Linux version at this time. 

Workarounds (outside using the HDMI cable) would be third-party solutions for wireless sharing. I know eg. Barco Clickshare has Linux clients, and I assume you could even find AirPlay-capable Linux-clients so you could stream to an AppleTV connected to the system.

Best regards,
Henrik

We did not want to buy another system as we thought maybe a Linux version was on the roadmap... I'll look into that.

And as a workaround, I was more thinking about sending a media stream to the codec, or something like that. It's not possible at all?

For information, I managed to get some video using a SIP client on linux and calling the codec using direct SIP call, and then sending the video using a virtual webcam driver plugged in gstreamer with screen capture. I got something like 1 fps and terrible compression, but it was working :)

Best regards,

The Linux client is, sadly, something of a political/resource question. Getting a working client for Windows is something I'd like to see, but has never been prioritized. We do have something, but it's untested and not feature complete. The more people that tell us they'd like to see a Linux client, the more likely it is to happen, though. So thank you for telling us!

The SIP hack is really cool! I made a somewhat similar prototype, also using gstreamer; my pipeline (using a windows capture driver for a demo) is written out below. Got a decent video stream, but a very hot quad-core laptop ;)

video/x-raw,framerate=30/1 ! videoscale ! videoconvert ! x264enc pass=quant tune=zerolatency speed-preset=ultrafast threads=4 ! video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,stream-format=byte-stream ! queue ! rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink host=$HOST port=$VPORT

dear mneergaa,

would it be possible to post again the gstreamer command line, I can't read it whole.

I see it upto "spee" and there is for sure more on the line.

many thanks

I did view source in the browser and got this:

video/x-raw,framerate=30/1 ! videoscale ! videoconvert ! x264enc pass=quant tune=zerolatency speed-preset=ultrafast threads=4 ! video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,stream-format=byte-stream ! queue ! rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink host=$HOST port=$VPORT

Hope this helps :)
-Henrik

I also would like to see a Linux client, 

who is it that there is one for Android and Mac but not for Linux, Android and Mac are both based on UNIX and Android on Java as well,

Shame! 

Adding my vote for a Linux client. If we can make it web-based somehow instead of a standalone binary, that would be awesome!!

Thanks for the input, sunilk7. Unfortunately - still no plans for a Linux client.

Best regards,
Henrik