Views
Helpful
Replies

Why only 64 bits windows client ?

pierre.decoster
Level 1
Level 1

LO everybody,

I was just wondering why only 64 bits windows client ...

All our laptops are still in W7/32 bits !

Maybe on next release ?

thx !

Pierre

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

We have got a few request for this in the past.

This is by design and there are unfortunately no plans on supporting 32 bit Windows.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

This isn't a matter of closed-mindedness, it's a matter of resource usage. Some of the features we use are 64-bit specific, and making a workaround would take time and resources.

64-bit has been supported by most hardware platforms released the last 10 years, and as far as I know 64-bit platforms have replaced 32-bit in most segments, with mostly certain tablet computers and some corporate deployments remaining.

So sorry, but your only option for running Cisco Proximity is using a 64-bit operating system.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

We have got a few request for this in the past.

This is by design and there are unfortunately no plans on supporting 32 bit Windows.

/Magnus

LordOfThePings
Level 1
Level 1

Why would you not also support 32-bit also??  Most enterprises have a mixture of 32 and 64-bit clients!  How much more close minded can Cisco be?

Matt

This isn't a matter of closed-mindedness, it's a matter of resource usage. Some of the features we use are 64-bit specific, and making a workaround would take time and resources.

64-bit has been supported by most hardware platforms released the last 10 years, and as far as I know 64-bit platforms have replaced 32-bit in most segments, with mostly certain tablet computers and some corporate deployments remaining.

So sorry, but your only option for running Cisco Proximity is using a 64-bit operating system.

Most manufacturers are moving this way - Apple also require any new iOS apps to be 64-bit. 32-bit is a thing of the past.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Because Proximity is wireless, the ability to connect form a lower end tablet that wouldn't have a standard HDMI or VGA point is an appealing use case. My lower end tablet runs an Intel Atom processor which is 32 bit.

I think the Atom processors have been 64-bit since around 2009-2010. We have seen that some low-end tablet manufacturers have dropped 64-bit support to save money, which is a bit strange, and a shame.