cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"server error" on iPhone app

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, every now and then I get an error message from the app on an iPhone 4S. The app logs me out (maybe due to a timeout) but when I try to log back in it errors saying 'server error' the last action was not successfully completed.

Then I have to delete the app and reinstall if for it to work again.

Not that it bothers me, but I'd thought I should let someone know :-)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bilal,

We looked through our logs, and found the source of this particular error. On Sunday mornings (ET), the database that holds all of the Service Request related data undergoes weekly maintenance. Your attempt to access the Support Cases area coincided with the regular downtime of this database which caused the "Server Error" dialog.

I apologize that you ran into this situation. In the not too distant future, we plan on adding broadcast notifications to alert users of regular maintenance downtimes. I'll also look into adding some improved error messaging in a future release.

Thanks for pointing this out... if you run into another scenario when you see a server error, feel free to send me an email (djdube@cisco.com) directly and we'll dig into the problem.

Regards,

Dave Dubé

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

David Dube
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal,

Thanks for letting us know... I'm sorry you're having these issues.

I do have a few questions that may help us narrow things down a bit...

• Instead of deleting the app, have you ever tried stopping the app, and then restarting?
  • Can you recall what you were doing when you got the error? Were you viewing a community discussion, interacting with a support case, trying to view an RMA, or some other activity?
  • Do you see these issues around a certain time of day or day of the week? Note: We do upgrades to our middleware client on Thursday evenings... that would certainly be a potential cause of your problems.

I'll ask the team to see if they can see any errors in our logfiles associated with your profile.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Bilal,

We looked through our logs, and found the source of this particular error. On Sunday mornings (ET), the database that holds all of the Service Request related data undergoes weekly maintenance. Your attempt to access the Support Cases area coincided with the regular downtime of this database which caused the "Server Error" dialog.

I apologize that you ran into this situation. In the not too distant future, we plan on adding broadcast notifications to alert users of regular maintenance downtimes. I'll also look into adding some improved error messaging in a future release.

Thanks for pointing this out... if you run into another scenario when you see a server error, feel free to send me an email (djdube@cisco.com) directly and we'll dig into the problem.

Regards,

Dave Dubé

Thanks for looking in to this Dave. I'll let you know if it happens again due to some other method. It makes sense when maintenance is underway. :-)

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

This happens when you keep winning the Mobile Challenge.

:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Haha :P I did find your picture funny! Must have been close ;)

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lately the app has been terrible for me. I get the server error soooooo much, I have to get on the web to post.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Same with me Scott - experiencing far more of these errors today....

There was a new version released recently too right? But I guess if maintenance is underway, it kind of rules out the fact that theres a problem with the app.

Even though it can get really really annoying - Patience

Hi Scott,

Very appropriate screen shot... it emphasises your point perfectly.

A couple questions... if memory serves me correct, you're using our iOS clients... right?

What activities are your primarily engaged with when you see these server connection errors? I know you're a heavy community user... is it typically when trying to post?

I've noted the time/date from your screen shot... we'll check to see where the error is emmenating from. Are there any other timeframes (dates/time of day) that you would say have been notoriously bad?

Regards,

Dave

Image taken 15:04 GMT - trying to acces this community. iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.2(10B146)

Scott,

I noticed from your screenshot that your intended action (posting a reply) is missing a subject. Did you by chance (accidentally) clear the subject, or did you tap on reply and the subject line was missing?

You will get an error if there is no subject (similar behavior on the web)?

Regards,

Dave

That is correct... this happens on both my iPhone 5 and my iPad with the latest iOS.  I don't know if it started after the latest CSC app upgrade, but when I post, I get the error, so I copy the whole post that I wrote and then I go back to the original post and hit reply and then try pasting my post back... I don't want to have to type everything again.  I might have to do this a few times before it actually goes through.  But yes... its mostly when I'm posting.  But when I'm going to different forums, I get the error also, so I just flip back and fourth and it finally lets me.

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Getting it again when just trying to post here.

-Scott

QQ: Any non-iOS client Observances?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here again I get an error trying to post here.

-Scott