Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851 Getting Server Certificate Error

I have an 8851 I upgraded to 11.0.1 and when I enter the Spark Activation Code I get "Server certificate validation failed" and the status logs shows "invalid server certifacte:idbroker.webex.com".  anyone seen this and have a fix?

7 Replies 7

jgiambo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have seen this error on earlier alpha versions of the firmware however never on the production version.  This error is caused by the phone not being able to verify the certificate of the Spark Identity management system.  (idbroker.webex.com)

This could be caused by a Man in the Middle HTTP proxy changing the certificate being presented by the spark service. 

If you need help we are available 24/7 by phone. 

US Toll Free – 1-844-772-7524 or 1-844-SPARK-24

International Direct Dial – 408-906-1107

Paul Anholt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin,

This can be caused by an NTP issue. The cert for idbroker.webex.com has a validity start date of Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 8:00:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, and without NTP the phones will have a time set some time in November 2015.

The phones have a fallback NTP server of "0.tandberg.pool.ntp.org" so you can check whether NTP is being blocked to that address.

The other option is to assign an NTP server via dhcp option 42.

-Paul

Not a time issue.  The time on the phone is correct?

Martin,

It's possible the activation code you are using is no longer valid. If that is the case, the phone will show the server validation error message you are seeing. Can you generate a new activation code and try that?

-Chad

The issue was where I was generating the activation code.  It's an 8851 and I was using the Device Page to activate it.  I needed to use the User Page instead.  Didn't think it would make that big a difference.  Apparently it does.

nofxcasey
Spotlight
Spotlight

We got past this by doing an 'all settings' reset on the device.

shrudixi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This issue occurs because the website certificate has multiple trusted certification paths on the web server. To work around this issue, delete or disable the certificate from the certification path that you do not want to use.