Views
Helpful
Replies

Same Internal and External domain name conflict

eduardo011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this scenario. Our external domain is xyc.com and I created an internal one with the same name xyc.com in Windows Server so it will allow to find the services for Jabber while I'm connected in the internal network and reach it when connecting from outside with Expressway . The problem is that if I'm in the internal network and I want to browse our public www.xyc.com domain it says that the "site can not be reached". Do you know what am I missing so just when querying to Jabber services the internal domain is used but with everything else the traffic goes outside?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Hello Eduardo

Was reaching www.xyc.com ever working prior to the DNS updates.

When you perform a nslookup www.xyc.com what is the IP address its resolving? 

Is that IP Address routeable from your internal network?

The reason I ask is that the DNS for Jabber at a minimum be the following below, as you can see it should never match www.xyc.com.

Internal:

_cisco-uds._tcp.xyc.com
_cuplogin._tcp.xyc.com

External:

_collab-edge._tls.xyc.com

Regards

Hoai Huynh

Hi Phuong,

Reaching www.xyc.com was working prior to me creating the Forward Lookup Zone on Windows Server. 

If I perform a nslookup in www.xyc.com it returns ** localhost can't find www.xyc.com: Non-existing domain.

If I delete the forward lookup Zone I can reach again the external domain. 

When I query _cisco-uds._tcp.xyc.com I got the correct result.

Jabber is working fine, it can discover the services without any issues. My problem is that I need to know how can still access(browse) my company website while I'm in the internal network.

Thank you,

Eduardo

The A records on the external DNS have to be configured also on the internal DNS

When I have this situation, and it is to complicated to add all these A records on the internal DNS,  I ask if customer has a domain they own but not use, like xyz.net and use this for jabber

JH

Hello j.huizinga,

Thank you for your reply. In my case I already have a domain like that, for example xyz.local so I don't have any problem when connecting jabber devices in the internal network and this avoid the conflict that I mentioned.

How will you configure the external query that comes to the Expressway E? For example when a Jabber client queries from outside the network _collab-edge._tls.xyz.com it will be forwarded to my expressway E and from there it will go to try to find the _cisco-uds._tcp.xyz.com correct? But what happens if I only have xyz.local domain ?

Or if there is no easy way maybe I can create an external subdomain like jabber.xyz.com and an internal one with the same name, so the user would log in as user@jabber.xyz.com instead of user@xyz.com  . Does this sounds like the way to go?

Thank you

Please see if this document is helpful:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Also search for this session on CiscoLive!:

"BRKCOL-2344 - Understanding Cisco Jabber Service Discovery & Client Configuration"