Views
Helpful
Replies

8865 VS. 8851 + Webcam and Jabber on PC for Video call

hinewwiner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to deploy video call solution to our company.  I see that 8865 phones have webcam attached to it that allow users to make video call directly on the desk phone.  I also learned that PC (with Jabber enabled) can be attached to desk phone to provide video while using audio in the desk phone.

What are pros/cons on these two configurations?  Is the video quality better with PC?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, when I'm using my 8845 phone and I barely look on the screen, because I'm WORKING, heh. So it depends, maybe I'm doing a video call to work with someone, but my eyes should be on my PC monitor because I'm checking / doing / whatever something. If the person really wants to do a video call with 8845/65 so yeah, he'll probably should look on the screen of the phone (towards the camera).
But when sometimes I work with MRA, with my soft phone and doing video call with other person, I mostly minimize the video window because I probably should do something in the systems for example.
So in both cases, I do not look on the camera (except when I'm on MRA) but most probably I'm not looking on the video of the other person.
That's from my experience at least.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

Well, it mostly depends on the type of camera you'll use. If you're using a camera with a low quality, so it'll be bad quality, if you're using something better it'll be better, heh ;)

And it depends on your configurations in the CUCM, like the amount of maximum bit rate and maximum bandwidth you're allowing to between region, or in the same region.

Anyway, I can't see any cons here. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Isn't the screen (5inch) on 8865 too small for video call?  Also when sharing computer screen, people will look at the computer screen not the camera on the desk phone and I wonder how effective is the video camera on 8865 devices. 

Any real world use advice would be welcomed.

Thank you!

Well, when I'm using my 8845 phone and I barely look on the screen, because I'm WORKING, heh. So it depends, maybe I'm doing a video call to work with someone, but my eyes should be on my PC monitor because I'm checking / doing / whatever something. If the person really wants to do a video call with 8845/65 so yeah, he'll probably should look on the screen of the phone (towards the camera).
But when sometimes I work with MRA, with my soft phone and doing video call with other person, I mostly minimize the video window because I probably should do something in the systems for example.
So in both cases, I do not look on the camera (except when I'm on MRA) but most probably I'm not looking on the video of the other person.
That's from my experience at least.

haha I think you are right.  

Thanks for the advice!