cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are any layer 2 auto negotiation protocols relevant in real life?

relley0
Level 1
Level 1

Other than STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) are any other layer 2 auto negotiation protocols relevant in real life?

I mean Dynamic trunking protocol, Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) or Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) to name a few.

I feel like static configuration is just less headache as the configuration of these protocols take the same time as the static protocols and if the company fires me and decides not to read the documentation I left and decided to move things around like do I actually care?

Would love to hear more input on this.

2 Replies 2

For DTP you can use manual config of trunk

Lacp/pagp here it not recommend to use manual, it can cause issue 

Hello

Agree with you. Take a look in Cisco SD-Access and you are going to see a whole new concept. 

"

Fabric Data Plane

RFC 7348 defines the use of virtual extensible LAN (VXLAN) as a way to overlay a Layer 2 network on top of a Layer 3 network. Each overlay network is called a VXLAN segment and is identified using a 24-bit VXLAN network identifier, which supports up to 16 million VXLAN segments.

The SD-Access fabric uses the VXLAN data plane to provide transport of the full original Layer 2 frame and additionally uses LISP as the control plane to resolve endpoint-to-location (EID-to-RLOC) mappings. The SD-Access fabric replaces sixteen (16) of the reserved bits in the VXLAN header to transport up to 64,000 SGTs using a modified VXLAN-GPO (sometimes called VXLAN-GBP) format described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-vxlan-group-policy-04."