Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot use protocol handlers.

shshao
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I read the protocol handlers in the Cisco Jabber for Windows Administration Guide. I use three protocol handlers "IM: , XMPP: and TEL:" into my html pages.

But, It cannot work and I got the unknown protocol from the web browser.

Also, I cannot find three protocol handlers in the Windows registry. It look like the Jabber is not defined as the registered protocol handler for IM: , XMPP: and TEL: .

How can I fix the problem ?

Thank you!

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Muhammad Maqsood Mushtaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

Is Jabber for Windows running on a Windows 7 OS with UAC (User Access Control) enabled? Jabber writes to following registry locations to register protocol handlers.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\im\shell\open\command

If you don't see these values then you are hitting known bugs. There are two defects opened around this.

CSCua81724: tel protocol handler does not work when UAC is enabled

CSCua81752: xmpp protocol handler does not work when UAC is enabled

As a workaround you can try to "run jabber as administrator".

Thanks,

Maqsood

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Muhammad Maqsood Mushtaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

Is Jabber for Windows running on a Windows 7 OS with UAC (User Access Control) enabled? Jabber writes to following registry locations to register protocol handlers.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\open\command

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\im\shell\open\command

If you don't see these values then you are hitting known bugs. There are two defects opened around this.

CSCua81724: tel protocol handler does not work when UAC is enabled

CSCua81752: xmpp protocol handler does not work when UAC is enabled

As a workaround you can try to "run jabber as administrator".

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hello Maqsood,

Thanks for helping !! The problem is fixed.

Andy

Maqsood or Andy,

Could you please let me know what the values and keys are supposed to be for the registry?  I have Lync installed on my pc and while I edited the values, I still don't have the protocol handlers quite working.

Thanks,

Arras

Hi Arras,

Please note that having both Lync and Jabber for  Windows on same PC is not a supported setup. This can result in  unexpected behaviour. You can see all the reg keys and corresponding  values on a machine where only Jabber is installed. Just navigate to the  registry locations mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks,

Maqsood