cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collaboration Edge Mobile and Remote No Ringback External calls

Nick Borelli
Level 1
Level 1

Was wondering if anyone has come across this issue in deploying vpn'less Jabber with Expressway E and C deployment.  All internal calls generate a ringback tone, but dialing externally there is dead air till the call connects.  Our deployments are straightforward and there is ringback on all calls when connected via the vpn or internally with jabber.  This happens on both sip and pri calls.  Any help is much appreciated.  

20 Replies 20

We have the following setting:
SIP Provider --- SBC --- CUCM --- ExpresswayC/E --- Jabber
When I start a call on the Jabber, I do not hear ringback.
All Invites are sent with early offer.
We get a 183 w/SDP from the provider, properly forwarded by the SBC and the CUCM to the Expressway. Anyway, it never arrives at the Jabber Client.

After some research we found the following:
Bug CSCtx90434 - 183 not supported / VCS responds to 183 session progress message with "Unsupported Message"
Bug CSCul52293 - Edge calls are missing or have incorrect tones and announcements

And this in a community entry:
https://communities.cisco.com/thread/42355
"Now the release note about "Early Media" specifically refers to the fact that Expressway will drop SIP messages of the type "183 Session Progress" - it will not propagate them to the end system, and it will not open up media channels to conduct the media. So if an called party replies with that message, the edge endpoint will never be told to "ring", and will get dead air until the call actually connects "

So we will suffer dead air instead of ringback until this is fixed in the Expressway SW.

hth

I apologize i hadn't heard back on this for sometime I missed your request, but yes this must be what is happening, been swamped with other work so haven't had a chance to do a pcap capture yet.  When i do i will confirm that it is rejecting the 183 messages. Thank you.

The new X8.5 software version for Expressway/VCS appliances has been made available for download on CCO as of yesterday (Dec 17th). The new version adds support for SIP Early Offer over MRA, as well as unsolicited NOTIFY pass-through (for features like MWI), among other neat features. Check Release Notes for more information.

This release fixes a lot of stuff we were waiting for (inband info etc).

Thanks for the info

Finally!  Upgraded this morning from 8.2.2 to the 8.5 release and it works!  Users hear ring back when using Jabber off net.

perry

Hello guys,

i have upgraded the expressway E and C to the latest 8.5.1 version but i still have the same problem ( no ringback tone).

I have Expressways connected to cucm using a H323 gateway.

Thank you in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: