Views
Helpful
Replies

Corporate external contacts for Jabber client

martinbielik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

if the company has centralized corporate directory with external contacts in some 3rd party database, is there any way how to provide such contacts for Jabber clients to allow users search for contact and call it directly from Jabber client?

I see the possibility to import contacts to LDAP, but I would like to avoid this because it's not good idea to import thousands of external contacts to Active Directory...

I also saw in other discussion threads, that in next release of Jabber client, there will be possibility to create external contact like it was in CUPC. But I am looking for some kind of centralized solution, not to duplicate all corporate contacs for all users.

Is it possible at this time, or do you plan to implement such possibility in the future?

Thanks,

Martin

10 Replies 10

Stefan Biebl
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

any news on this case?

We have the same Problem here.

For most of our customers, this missing function is a showstopper and we have to use other Clients (3rd-Party) instead.

Greetings

Stefan

Hi!

We would also need this feature for a customer, but I think it is not possible for now.

The only possibility, maybe, is to create a website or a lotus notes DB with the external corporate contacts, and a button on the phone number field with the link to start Jabber through the uri based sip calls as described here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3650271#3650271

Mirko

janice.valencia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Did you get an answer or solution for this?

Currently our company has 2 sites. internal directory works perfectly on jabber. But we would like to incorporate site B contacts to jabber. 

Thank you

If you're running current releases, you should have the option to add a Custom Contact in Jabber, you need to use that option.

Trying to use those for calls or IM&P assumes that CUCM and/or IM&P are already capable of dialing between them, and/or an XMPP/SIP federation is configured (or intercluster peer if using the same domain).

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello, yes we can do custom contact. But we would like all Site A users to have access to all the contacts for Site B employees. Is there a way just to add the phonebook to CUCM and then jabber can grab it from there?

Yes, assuming you're using UDS, you would need to add all the users from the other site to CUCM.

If you're using EDI/CDI, then you would need to add them directly to your directory server.

HTH

java

I am not sure if we are using that. I am just helping my colleague.

Can you please give me the instructions of doing that? for UDS and EDI/CDI? Thank you so much

If you can search for users, you ARE using one. Jabber -> help -> show connection status. You'll see which one you use there. If there's no directory resolution, all you would see are the JIDs and you would not be able to search for anyone.

For UDS, add the users to your CUCM server as local users.

For EDI/CDI, add the users to your directory server (MS AD, openLDAP, etc.)

If Jabber is configured to look at a certain OUs/CNs for users, make sure to add them to the right place.

HTH

java

We added the remote users to the OU in AD (Ldap) where we synch to Call manager. But still when we type in the user name, not showing. Is there a configuration for the user accounts that is needed?

We are using UDS (HTTPS)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: