cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUP 8.6(4) and Enable Calendar in Presence Status

Matthew Berry
Level 1
Level 1

Based on my research, the only way to enable calendar present status for Jabber for Windows clients is to have the end-user log into the CUP user portal.  From that portal they can navigate down to "Calender Settings" and Select "Include calendar information in my presence status" to [On].

This message is a departure from earlier versions of Jabber/CUPC where users had the option to administer this feature from the client itself.  As it presently stands, end users now have to be educated to use another portal other than CCM User to administer their settings. 

In CUP 8.6(3) and prior versions, it was possible to execute a SQL command from the CLI to enable calendar status sharing for a bulk group of users.  It appears that this no longer works in CUP 8.6(4), perhaps due to a schema change or AXL change.

I would like to understand there is a method in CUP 8.6(4) to make bulk changes to users through the CLI. 

While I understand that major changes are going to occur in version 9.0 with the rebranding of CUPS as IM & Presence, forcing end-users to use the CUP User Portal is a major drawback during POC projects.  The Jabber for Everyone program is of great interest to my customers, but issues like this causes customers to think, "Man, this feature is much more difficult to enable in Jabber than it was in Lync."

I would also like to know when this feature is slated to be introduced in the Jabber for Windows client.  Some preliminary research indicates version 9.5, But it would be helpful to understand a better idea on timeline.

Matthew Berry | Solutions Architect, CCIE #26721 (Voice) World Wide Technology, Inc. | +1 612-219-0040 PS Engineering: Innovate & Ignite
26 Replies 26

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Matthew,

Unfortuantely the news on this is bad news. Currently, there is no supported bulk way of enabling users for calendaring.

This is a high priority request from a lot of customers. However, the current timeframe for this is 9.5.

- Colin

And the rough timeline for a 9.5 release?  Are we talking 2013?

Matthew Berry | Solutions Architect, CCIE #26721 (Voice) World Wide Technology, Inc. | +1 612-219-0040 PS Engineering: Innovate & Ignite

Yes. 2013.

I should have asked for a more specific non-official date.  If 9.0(5) is the last 9.0 release, then 9.5 doesn't seem so far away.  Right now, does the BU have the expectation for an early or later 2013 release?

I believe, 9.5 has actually been changed to 10.0 which is scheduled for Aug next year. Note, that this is still in the planning stages and content may be moved or changed.

Has the bulk edit feature been submitted as an enhancement request for a future release of CUP 8.6(x) or IM&P 9.x?

Yes, it's been a feature request for quiet a while. However, due to the impact on the server of running the command, it has been determined that it will require a substantial level of work. Hence, why it has been postponed to 10.0

Just to make sure I am hearing you correctly:

• Enable Calendar Presence from Jabber for Windows client - v9.5 (Aug 2013 roughly)
  • Bulk Edit Feature from IM&P - v10.0

No. Apologies for the confusion.

Bulk Edit Feature from IM&P - v10.0

Enable Calendar Presence from Jabber for Windows client - Jabber backlog. > 9.3

from the CLI:

run sql update enduser set enablecalendarpresence='t'

Enjoy!

The above command will not work correctly.

The following command can be run on a per user basis from the CLI.

execute procedure spSetUserCalendaring((select pkid from enduser where userid='"coflaher"),'t','t')

My apologizes, but that was the command TAC gave me to accomplish this...but it was for 8.5(4), maybe it no longer works in 8.6(4)?

That's a common mistake and is often issued incorrectly by TAC. I'm not sure of the exact details on why it doesn't work, but it was confirmed to me by one of the developers that the query you were given is not a realible option.

Due to the demand for this feature, there should hoepfully be a supported way of doing this before 10.0.

- Colin

Interesting...it did work in my environment, I am curious as to the reason..could you find out please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: