cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cwms 2.5 Install Hang

mzajeski
Level 1
Level 1

Installing new 2.5 cwms solution with irp.  When trying to deploy manually or using the automated method, the servers hang on "Waiting for a connection from the Admin virtual machine" and my install keeps spinning with "waiting" for the Media Server as well as IRP.  I wish it would come back with an error or have some way to check the issue I am having.  I think it may have to do with the private vip.  My admin/media vlan is 10.197.1.0 /24 and public is 10.100.251.0 /24...

I followed the guidelines on the DNS stuff as my admin server is 10.197.1.160, media is 10.197.1.161 and vip is 10.197.1.162.  IRP is 10.100.251.16 with public vip of 10.100.251.18.

Once the media and irp servers were deployed from the ova, I can ping all non-vip addresses.  Real curious on how the private vip is broadcasted (assume its from the admin or media server since both of those network cards on their vm's is set to the 10.197.1.0 vlan.  Anyone have any insight?

7 Replies 7

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Let's start identifying where the problem might be. To do this, please, let me know of the following:

1. How many UCS servers are you using for your deployment?

2. What is the size of the system you are trying to deploy (250, 800 users)?

3. Are you deploying Admin and Media VM on the same UCS server?

4. What is the version of the ESXi host you are using and what is the version of vCenter used for managing ESXi hosts?

5. I assume DNS server is accessible and can resolve all the IPs and FQDNs properly:

Admin VM - Eth 0 - 10.197.1.160 - resolves to Admin VM FQDN

Private VIP - Admin VM Eth 1 - 10.197.1.162 - resolves to Admin URL and WebEx Site URL (if using split-horizon DNS, so Internal DNS server is used)

Media VM - Eth 0 - 10.197.1.161 - resolves to Media VM FQDN

IRP VM - Eth 0 - 10.100.251.16 - resolves to IRP VM FQDN (DNS is either internal or in DMZ)

Public VIP - IRP VM Eth 1 - 10.100.251.18 - resolves to WebEx Site URL 

Thank you.

-Dejan

UCS Servers

2 UCS B Servers that have 16 cores each, connect to 2TB storage specific for solution.

Deployment Size

Admin and Media Server are on one UCSB, IRP on the other

VCenter is 5.5, ESXi host version is latest as well

DNS resolution has been completely checked.

We're making progress - the issue appears to be firewall rules between the DMZ-Internal and Internal-DMZ.  I don't think I initially submitted the full list of ports to be open between the Admin and IRP Server.  I will post more when the ports are open and we re-test.

Thanks for this information. So far, all looks as per documentation.

Now, Firewall would explain IRP VM issues with adding Public Access, but not Media VM problems you reported.

Do you still have issues with adding Media VM to the deployment?

Thank you.

-Dejan

I get past the hanging part, but now I'm getting an awesomely vague error message when it's doing the system check -

"The server encounted an unexpected error.  Try again.  If the problem persists, contact Cisco TAC and provide the following information: <br/>(Internal Server Error (request id: 2039, internal data: 2039$s))."

I tried the install twice now, getting the same error.  I'm going to try the install from another machine to see if the same error appears.

Hi,

Yes, this is a very generic error that doesn't provide us with any useful information. There might still be possibility to SSH to the VMs to take a look at what is failing. 

At this point, repeating the same process doesn't seem to solve the issue but is wasting a lot of time for you. Please, leave it in that state and reach out to Cisco TAC to do some live troubleshooting of this issue.

This doesn't look like any known issue and we would have to analyze the deployment logs to understand what is failing. 

-Dejan

Turns out I had 2 issues, the first was the ports needed to be opened (ICMP) from the IRP to the DNS servers as well.  The second issue was that my laptop doing the install had a proxy server configured.  Just a standard proxy server that allowed me everywhere, but when the system check would run, the last 3 tests for the URL's would not complete.....  When I ran the install without the proxy on my IE, completed properly.

Thank you for this feedback. It is good to know how you resolved the issue with System check.

Thank you.

-Dejan