Views
Helpful
Replies

different usernames for Jabber and Exchange

gecon1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In our situation, Exchange is Outlook 365.

We login on Jabber with accountA<at>companyA<dot>com, and on Outlook 365 with accountB<at>companyBgroup<dot>com.

Situation is actually a bit more complex, because Outlook 365 domain is companyBgroup<dot>com, while the mailbox is accountB<at>companyB<dot>com, the latter being an alias to accountB<at>companyBgroup<dot>com.

What I want is to have Jabber chat history saved on Outlook 365.

I have tried several combinations for the configuration but with no success so far. The main parameters I think are the following:

a) exchange_usecredentialsfrom: I cannot use any of the available options CUP, CUCM or WEBEX, as the username on Outlook 365 is different than that on Jabber (accountB vs. accountA). I tried with value="accountB", seems to accept it, thus constructing username as accountB<at>"exchangedomain" (see parameter below; tried both with companyBgroup<dot>com and companyB<dot>com), but it does not work :(

b) exchangeauthenticatewithsystemaccount: false

c) exchangedomain: Should this be companyBgroup<dot>com or companyB<dot>com?

d) exchangeautodiscoverdomain: I suppose that in my case this should be companyBgroup<dot>com.

e) externalexchangeserver: outlook<dot>office365<dot>com (tried also with outlook<dot>com)

f) internalexchangeserver: outlook<dot>office365<dot>com (tried also with outlook<dot>com)

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Ioannis

2 Replies 2

Mark Swanson
Level 4
Level 4

Yeah, all of this does sound a little confusing but let's approach this a different way. Please launch Outlook and check the following;

1. Under the [Home] tab, open the 'Address Book'

2. Search/Select a User

3. Click on the [E-Mail Address] tab.

Under the [E-Mail Address] tab contains a list of SMTP addresses. The primary SMTP address is identified by uppercase letters (i.e. SMTP: John.A.Doe@mydomain.com). The non-primary SMTP addresses are identified by lowercase letters; smtp:John.Doe@mydomain.com).

Your Exchange/Outlook Team likely uses SMTP relays for applications - like Jabber. This is something they would've configured so reach out to them and ask them about it. If so, then use this FQDN/Hostname/IP as the ExternalExchangeServer parameter listed within your jabber-config.xml file. For example;

<ExternalExchangeServer>outlook365.smtprelay.mydomain.com</ExternalExchangeServer>

As for the other configs;

1) Exchange_UseCredentialsFrom

If you have WEBEX, select it. If not, you can select either CUCM or CUP. Most likely, it doesn't matter if Users are sync'd via Active Directory; CUCM > LDAP Directory. Selecting CUCM would allow Full-UC whereas selecting CUP would allow IM-Only.  

2) ExchangeDomain

Yes, the ExchangeDomain parameter should be companyB.com... however, make sure there's a non-primary SMTP address (aka alias) added for each user. For example;

smtp:userxyz@companyA.com

3) ExchangeAuthenticateWithSystemAccount: false

4) ExchangeAutoDiscoverDomain

This parameter should reference the same domain used by Exchange to authenticate users; companyB.com

5) InternalExchangeServer = Not Used

This parameter wouldn't be used unless CUCM / IM&P resided on the same domain as Exchange.

Good Luck!

billie.mcgee
Level 1
Level 1

Any updates on this, I have similar issue