cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory lookups for Windows Jabber clients - Question

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

First, let me say that CUCM is not currently synced with LDAP.  I add users manually.  Also, we're using Jabber as a phone only.  

I've done some reading and from what I can understand looking at the Cisco documents, the Windows Jabber client naturally has the ability to lookup people in active directory.  I confirmed that by not assigning a Primary Directory Profile to the Service Profile my Jabber client is using.  That seems to work fine.  However, Jabber will not find any person who has a User ID on CUCM.  The only way it WILL find a user on CUCM is if I click the 'Use UDS for Contact Resolution' box.  But once I check that box to use UDS, now the Jabber client will no longer find any of our people in active directory.  

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to (most importantly) find people who actually have a User ID on CUCM but ALSO be able to also search/find people in our active directory (or I can search them via LDAP if necessary).  Is there a way to do this?   

I say finding a person with a User ID on CUCM is most important for me because we're not using the person's username in CUCM that's used in active directory and the only way you can get the presence status to show up correctly on Jabber is if the 'IM Address' for the contact you add matches the IM address on Cisco (which is a combination of the person's User ID and the domain I'm using on IM & P).  

This is not really my area of expertise, so I'm just following the Cisco docs as best I can to make it work and I do have everything working that needs to work for our purposes, with the exception of the directory.  I suppose we can live with only being able to see users in CUCM, but it would be even better if we could see people in both active directory and CUCM.  

Again...just so you know and like I said in the beginning, we don't sync the CUCM servers with LDAP.  Is the only way to get this to work the way I'm wanting is to sync CUCM with LDAP and let UDS resolve any conflicts?  Hopefully there's some way to do this without syncing to LDAP.  I just want to 'search' LDAP on the fly if someone searches for a person's name in the Jabber client.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can only use one directory option, either UDS, or LDAP, there's no way to have them both working at the same time. On your scenario, you would need to sync Vs. LDAP, and set UDS so you can find both synced users, and local users.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can only use one directory option, either UDS, or LDAP, there's no way to have them both working at the same time. On your scenario, you would need to sync Vs. LDAP, and set UDS so you can find both synced users, and local users.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ok, thank you.  I was sort of getting that impression with what I was reading.  I'll just leave it so we can search CUCM users.  If nothing else, we can add all the users before they're even a true CUCM phone user so all those people will be found when someone searches for them. 

Hi, you can also take a look at http://aurus5.com/phoneup/directory, this app exports contacts from several enterprise sources and provides LDAP interface for Cisco Jabber for searching.