cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EDI contact search for non-domain member PC's.

Ryan Schwab
Level 1
Level 1

I understand using EDI contact search utilizes your AD credentials you've used to login to your PC. What is the best way to handle contact search for PC's that are not domain members (ie: home PC's connecting via VPN)?

Is this an argument for choosing UDS over EDI? Is it ok to specify a read-only AD user account in the jabber-config.xml file to use for EDI?

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since you can configure site specific profiles via the device config, you can configure a special .xml file for those users, and configure a read only user as you mention, to bind to the AD and not use the windows credentials.

Just change this one:

UseWindowsCredentials to 0 and configure ConnectionUsername and ConnectionPassword.

Even the documentation says it should be a read-only user

Important: Cisco  Jabber for Windows does not encrypt the credentials that you  specify in a configuration file and writes the credentials to a log file  as plain text. If you specify credentials in a configuration file, you  should use a shared, read-only directory account that all Cisco  Jabber for Windows users can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since you can configure site specific profiles via the device config, you can configure a special .xml file for those users, and configure a read only user as you mention, to bind to the AD and not use the windows credentials.

Just change this one:

UseWindowsCredentials to 0 and configure ConnectionUsername and ConnectionPassword.

Even the documentation says it should be a read-only user

Important: Cisco  Jabber for Windows does not encrypt the credentials that you  specify in a configuration file and writes the credentials to a log file  as plain text. If you specify credentials in a configuration file, you  should use a shared, read-only directory account that all Cisco  Jabber for Windows users can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

macri.rios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I found myself in the exact same issue. I know this was post very long time ago, but if you know how I have to change de jabber-config xml file in order to permit that my non in domain users could use the jabber properly.

Please be so kind to let me know.

Regards

Hi Maria,

You could add following parameters under the Directory node in xml file (admin guide):

EDI

IP_ADDRESS

SERVER_PORT

username

password

You can use Config File Generator if you need help with the xml file generation.

or if your AD is integrated with CUCM then simply use UDS as below:

UDS

Thanks,

Maqsood

Thank you so much Maqsood.

It worksss, this is great!!!

I  change de EDI integration for UDS adding the next xml file, so the user  will not search the credentials in the AD instead it will do the lookup  in the CUCM

UDS

true

presence

And  I add this XML file in the following file of each user outside the domain:

C:\Users\mrios\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config

Hi Maria,

Instead of copying the xml file on each non-domain machine, you should really create a group configuration file for these set of users as Jaime mentioned in his post. You should then host the file on TFTP server.

When client starts it always attempts to download the xml configuration file from TFTP server. If a configuration file is available, it will download and overwrite the existing file. Please review following sections in admin guide to create and upload a group configuration file.

Create Group Configurations

Host Configuration Files

Please review Configure the Client section for a complete description of available configuration options.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: