cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EDI contact search for non-domain member PC's.

Ryan Schwab
Beginner
Beginner

I understand using EDI contact search utilizes your AD credentials you've used to login to your PC. What is the best way to handle contact search for PC's that are not domain members (ie: home PC's connecting via VPN)?

Is this an argument for choosing UDS over EDI? Is it ok to specify a read-only AD user account in the jabber-config.xml file to use for EDI?

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed!

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee Hall of Fame Cisco Employee
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Since you can configure site specific profiles via the device config, you can configure a special .xml file for those users, and configure a read only user as you mention, to bind to the AD and not use the windows credentials.

Just change this one:

UseWindowsCredentials to 0 and configure ConnectionUsername and ConnectionPassword.

Even the documentation says it should be a read-only user

Important: Cisco  Jabber for Windows does not encrypt the credentials that you  specify in a configuration file and writes the credentials to a log file  as plain text. If you specify credentials in a configuration file, you  should use a shared, read-only directory account that all Cisco  Jabber for Windows users can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee Hall of Fame Cisco Employee
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Since you can configure site specific profiles via the device config, you can configure a special .xml file for those users, and configure a read only user as you mention, to bind to the AD and not use the windows credentials.

Just change this one:

UseWindowsCredentials to 0 and configure ConnectionUsername and ConnectionPassword.

Even the documentation says it should be a read-only user

Important: Cisco  Jabber for Windows does not encrypt the credentials that you  specify in a configuration file and writes the credentials to a log file  as plain text. If you specify credentials in a configuration file, you  should use a shared, read-only directory account that all Cisco  Jabber for Windows users can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

macri.rios
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I found myself in the exact same issue. I know this was post very long time ago, but if you know how I have to change de jabber-config xml file in order to permit that my non in domain users could use the jabber properly.

Please be so kind to let me know.

Regards