cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Emergency Calling via Jabber IOS or Android

calmichael
Level 1
Level 1

I have found some documentation for Jabber Voice 9.1 from Cisco that states "...When you dial an emergency number, such as 911, 999, or 112 from an iPhone, Cisco Jabber invokes the native Phone application to make the call over your mobile network."

I cannot find this in later versions.  I do see several .edu based documents that repeat this type of language but nothing posted in the past year or so.

Is this behavior present in current versions of Jabber?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

I cant find that info in any other versions of Jabber, though I found these from the latest DS. 

Jabber 11

USE OF THE JABBER SOFTPHONE DURING AN EMERGENCY IS AT YOUR OWN RISK — The softphone technology may not provide sufficient voice quality or location data for emergency calls. Calls may be misdirected to the wrong emergency response center or the emergency response center may make errors when determining your location.

http://jabberupdate.harman.com/docs/cisco-jabber-android-11-release-notes.pdf

Jabber 12

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iOS/12_0/rn/jabi_b_release-notes-for-cisco-jabber.html

Wireless Location Monitoring—Allows you to determine the physical location from where your Cisco Jabber users connect to the corporate network. This information is stored in Cisco Unified Communications Manager, and it helps integrated applications such as Cisco Emergency Responder to determine the physical location of a Cisco Jabber user who makes an emergency call. For more information, see the Wireless Location Monitoring section from the Feature configuration Guide for Cisco Jabber 12.0.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

zth0mps0n
Level 1
Level 1

I couldn't find an answer either, so I opened a TAC Case. Here's the response:

The behavior of Jabber (on mobile) for emergency calls will be as follows:

Admin can config the emergency numbers for users, once Jabber retrieves the emergency number from CUCM, and it detects the user is dialing an emergency call, Jabber cross-launches the phone's native dialer, as the cellular call can provide more accurate location.

if you open TCT device in CUCM, you will find ‘Emergency Numbers’ field under ‘Product Specific Configuration Layout’ section. You can press ‘?’ next to the section header and it will take you to online help page where you can find very clear statement how it is supposed to work:

“Emergency Numbers:

A ',' delimited list of emergency numbers (e.g. 911). These numbers will be dialed through GSM rather than than the softphone.

Default: 999,911,112

Maximum length: 32”

You may remove those numbers as emergency numbers from CUCM and the call will be routed as per your call routing design.

It would be nice if that info was easier to find, but there it is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: