cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to call my Spark SIP URI from another SIP-standards system?

PWJPW
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

According to the Spark documentation, we should be able to make calls from any public SIP system to our Spark SIP address, i.e. my.user@me.call.ciscospark.com

However, when trying to make a call in this way, I just get "hostname not found". If I try and perform an nslookup on me.call.ciscospark.com there are no DNS records publically available.

We have the full Spark full service with Webex, Care & Pro Pack etc so it shouldn't be a license poroblem.

Can anyone advise how third parties can call my Spark SIP URI direct from their own SIP system?

Thanks!

James

6 Replies 6

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

In this case, a SRV record is used. The SRV record used would be _sips._tcp.<domain>.call.ciscospark.com.

Please rate useful posts.

Thanks. I checked and can see the DNS record:

priority       = 5

weight         = 10

port           = 5061

svr hostname   = l2sip-cfa-01.wbx2.com

But how does a normal SIP endpoint (external to Cisco) know about this? I.e. If I have a phone registered to an Asterisk server, or some third-party SIP standard endpoint, calling my.user@me.call.ciscospark.com doesn't establish the call...

Try this for some more info, SIP SRV is spart of the SIP std. see link below for some more info..

https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+SIP+srvlookup

Goodluck

In a standards based video environment, the infrastructure goes through and queries the DNS SRV records pertaining to SIP/H323 to find the destination and route the call as needed. One of the SRV records that is queried is what I  mentioned above. In your case, I dont think the Asterisk will do this kind of queries since its a voice endpoint (although I am not an Asterisk expert). If you have a standards based video endpoint like Cisco, Polycom, Lifesize, I would suggest to give it a try and it "should" work.

For some extra reading, refer to the RFC which explains this in detail.

Please rate useful posts.

mh1983
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you happen to see the guidelines in this document? Hope it helps.

Hi Guys

Thanks very much, I'll check out what Asterisk supports along with any other SIP endpoints.

Cheers

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: