Views
Helpful
Replies

J4W - Outlook 2013 Support

pratik.rb
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Pros,

Would like to know if Outlook 2013 is supported by Jabber for Windows 9.2.4 (latest release).

The data sheet does not mention support http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps6836/ps12511/data_sheet_c78-704195.html
and the latest release notes also don't seem to talk on this.

I have J4W 9.2.4 installed on a Windows 7 64-bit PC with Outlook 2013. The presence & click to call to other Jabber users is working fine, but I can't get click to call to work for non-Jabber contacts (although they have telephone numbers that can be dialled).

The same non-Jabber contacts can be dialled by Cisco Jabber on PC with Outlook 2007 / 2010.

Regards,

Pratik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pratik,

thank you for clarification.

I can also inform you that Katarina (QA analyst) replicated your issue with Outlook 2013 on Jabber 9.2.4.

She also tried same steps but with Jabber 9.6 and issue doesn't exist there. She also saw that issue doesn't exist

in Jabber 9.2.6.

We then identified the defect that was opened earlier that fixed this problem and found that it was the same defect that Katie mentioned - CSCui93200. Although the description of defect (the manifestation of problem) is not same with your issue, the fix for that defect works for your issue as well.

So, as a conclusion - the issue that you have with click to call function in Outlook 2013 will be fixed in versions 9.2.6 and 9.6. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can set SIP:IMaddress in proxyAddress field in internal non-Jabber contacts and set the IM address field for local Outlook external contacts.

Please, let me know if you are fine with this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

bczaya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Maxime Peccoux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the same issue than you describe:

Click to dial in outtlook 2013 64bits is not working for non-Jabber contacts on a Windows 7 64bit

I have tested with Cisco Jabber 9.2.3 / 9.2.4 and the future 9.2.5 => It's the same

Normally, Cisco jabber 9.2.x supports Windows 7 and Outlook 64bits

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_010.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

Operating Systems

You can install Cisco Jabber for Windows on the following operating systems:
  • Microsoft Windows 8 32 bit
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64 bit
  • Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit
  • Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit
  • Microsoft Windows Vista 32 bit
  • Microsoft Windows Vista 64 bit
  • Microsoft Windows XP 32 bit with Service Pack 3

Note

Cisco Jabber for Windows does not require the Microsoft .NET Framework or any Java modules.

Microsoft Office

Cisco Jabber for Windows supports integration with the following software:
  • Microsoft Office 2007 32 bit
  • Microsoft Office  2010 32 bit
  • Microsoft Office 2010 64  bit
  • Microsoft Office  2013 32 bit
  • Microsoft Office 2013 64  bit
  • Microsoft Exchange 2007
  • Microsoft Exchange  2010

--------------------------------------------------------

Have you find a workaround ?

Regards

Maxime

knicgabh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is an existing CDET for the issue CSCui93200 - Cannot call Outlook 2013 contact with phone number only.

It is targeted for release 9.2.6.

Regards,

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply. But the CDET description says Jabber cannot call a contact who has ONLY phone number. In my case I am trying to call a contact who has both email address & phone number.

I have noticed this same issue on Outlook 2010 & 2007 also with Jabber 9.2.4.

If I open a Jabber contact in Outlook & click actions button & Select Call Work (IP Phone) or Mobile I am able to.

If I open a non Jabber contact (for example external to my organization) & click Actions & select Call - nothing happens inspite of contact having a phone number (telephoneNumber attribute).

Note: we are using ipPhone attribute for Callmanager - LDAP integration.

Regards,

Pratik

Hi Pratik,

could you please provide following info in order to help us better understand the issue and try to replicate it:

1. In Outlook 2010 what do you see in contact card of non-Jabber contact under phone icon? Are there some phone numbers or it is empty/inactive?

2. You said that presence is working fine. What do you see as a presence information for non-Jabber contacts - is it "Offline" or "Presence unknown"?

3. At the moment of problem detection (when you can't call non-Jabber contacts), is there a connectivity between Jabber and Outlook? You can check it from Jabber: from main menu open Help, then select "Show connection status" and check for "Outlook address book" connectivity.

4. Could you please try to search non-Jabber contacts from Jabber search bar - it should be possible since Jabber should inspect Outlook Address Book as well and that contact should appear in results under "Address Book" section (not under "Directory" section). You should be also able to view its profile.

5. Do you see any phone number in Outlook contact card, not in phone menu but in details below where emial is written? Does it change when Jabber is on/off?

The idea with all these checks is to make sure that connectivity exists and if problem persists to see if it is in Jabber or in Click2X plug-in.

I would also want to know how do you replicate this issue: firstly you said Outlook 2013, then later Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007. I see Jabber versions 9.2.3, 9.2.4 and later. Did you replicate the problem with some earlier version too? I suspect on 9.2.2 also, but could be that before that version there is no problem. Could you please check some of previous versions?

Once you prepare all these info, we could check with more details if this is some known issue or configuration problem or some new defect that we weren't aware of.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Ivan,

First of all thanks for taking time to reply to my issue. I have done some testing on all 2007/2010/2013 clients and did not face issue with Outlook 2010 clients.

Our Jabber for Windows is only 9.2.4 now. But I had tried with 9.2.2 also with same results.

For Outlook 2007 below are the answers to your questions as I did face issue calling non Jabber contacts.

1. In Outlook 2007 what do you see in contact card of non-Jabber contact under phone icon? Are there some phone numbers or it is empty/inactive?

Ans: Phone number is populated into telephone field in a way that can be dialled by Jabber via App Dial Rules.

2. You said that presence is working fine. What do you see as a presence information for non-Jabber contacts - is it "Offline" or "Presence unknown"?

Ans: "offline"

3. At the moment of problem detection (when you can't call non-Jabber contacts), is there a connectivity between Jabber and Outlook? You can check it from Jabber: from main menu open Help, then select "Show connection status" and check for "Outlook address book" connectivity.

Ans: Yes. Green tick with last connection successful Outlook MAPI.

4. Could you please try to search non-Jabber contacts from Jabber search bar - it should be possible since Jabber should inspect Outlook Address Book as well and that contact should appear in results under "Address Book" section (not under "Directory" section). You should be also able to view its profile.

Ans: I am able to search the user, but when I clicked view profile I noticed that the phone numbers don't show there. For CUCM we are syncing ipPhone field from LDAP whereas for this non Jabber user the telephoneNumber is field is filled with the number. Could this be root of the problem?

5. Do you see any phone number in Outlook contact card, not in phone menu but in details below where emial is written? Does it change when Jabber is on/off?

Ans: I can see phone number in Outlook contact card, it remains regardless Jabber on/off. What goes off however is the "actions" button to make call via Jabber if Jabber is off.

For Outlook 2013 below are the answers to your questions as I did face issue calling non Jabber contacts.

1. In Outlook 2013 what do you see in contact card of non-Jabber contact under phone icon? Are there some phone numbers or it is empty/inactive?

Ans: Phone number is populated into telephone field in a way that can be dialled by Jabber via App Dial Rules.

Ans: "Presence unknown"

Ans: Yes. Green tick with last connection successful Outlook MAPI.

Ans: I am able to search the user, but when I clicked view profile I noticed that the phone numbers don't show there. For CUCM we are syncing ipPhone field from LDAP whereas for this non Jabber user the telephoneNumber is field is filled with the number. Could this be root of the problem?

Ans: I can see phone number in Outlook contact card, it remains regardless Jabber on/off. What goes off however is the call option if Jabber is off.

Warm Regards,

Pratik

Hi Pratik,

thank you for answers.

I had discussion today with our QA Analyst Katarina Iljazovic who managed to find a workaround for this issue on Outlook 2013 - could you please edit your local non-Jabber Outlook contact so that you populate IM address with same value as its EMail field? Restart Outlook and Jabber and see if this resolved the issue (if you are able to call contacts by clicking Phone icon from contact card).

Please let us know the result. She told me that she'll take a look at this a bit more to see if we need to create new defect for this problem for Outlook 2013 regardless of whether this workaround works for you or not. If we create a defect, we'll inform you about details.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply.

We are already in process of bulk updating all users with IM address as its going to be a big deployment 1000-2000 users.

But what about external contacts, people who send email from outside the organization? Will we able to dial them or no?

Secondly, did you face same issue in Outlook 2007?

Regards,

Pratik

Hi Pratik,

as I said, the proposed action for you to try is not a solution, but just a possible workaround. We would be grateful to you if you could just try it with at least one non-Jabber contact that you faced this issue with. This will help us detect the problem and better understand it and if we find it as a defect, this will help us even to create a fix for it.

Yesterday, when I discussed with QA analyst Katarina Iljazovic, who is expert for Jabber and Outlook integration, she told me that this integration between Jabber and Outlook 2007 is pretty well tested and should be stable. Of course, it is always possible to find some new defect and we are interested to learn more details about your replication of problem in Outlook 2007 (which means to get some screen shots and logs - Jabber logs, PRT, Office presence logs etc.).

I see that in your test case with Outlook 2007 the integration seems to work fine (the presence is "offline", not "presence unknown"), which means that contact is resolved. However, it is strange that you can't do click2Call. As I said, QA will shortly take a look at this firstly on her environment, but we would appreciate if you could send us more details about your replication (screen shots and logs).

We will keep you informed if we realize that this is a new defect. In the meantime please help us by trying proposed action (setting IM address) and by sending us additional details about your replication in Outlook 2007.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

In addition to my post:

Pratik, could you also please tell us how you see non-Jabber contact when you search it in Jabber search bar - does it appear under Directory or under Address Book section? I already asked that question earlier and you just explained that you was able to search the contact in Jabber but didn't answer the second part of the question.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hi Ivan,

Please find the screens of both Outlook 2007 & 2013.

I  tested with two users "Pirmin" & "Arul". Pirmin does not have the SIP:user@domain IM Address configured in LDAP whereas Arul has that configured. But both are not Jabber users.

I found I am able to dial both Pirmin & Arul very well from Outlook 2010.

With Outlook 2007 & 2013 I was unable to dial Pirmin but was able to dial Arul after adding the SIP:user@domain IM address. For Pirmin it shows "presence unknown" in both Outlook 2007 & 2013.

Please see screenshots below:

Hi Pratik,

thank you for providing these screen shots.

At this moment, while we are investgating your test cases, I would like to clear one question with you.

You say that these two contacts are non-Jabber contacts and you explained in your answer to Katie that it means they are external to the organization. Now I don't understand how you set SIP address and configure LDAP. Are these contacts on Active Directory? I thought all you do was contact update in Outlook but now I am a little bit confused.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Hi Ivan,

I gave Katie an example for a non-Jabber contact, but there are also internal users who will not be on Jabber & we face the same issue whether that non Jabber contact is internal or external to our organization.

For the second part of your question, since both these contacts (in the screenshot) are internal i.e. on client LDAP - MS AD 2008 we update one of these users "aruln"  with the SIP address as you asked.

We set the SIP address for this user as per below procedure documented by Cisco.

Enable Presence with the Active Directory User and Computers Tool
Complete the following steps to enable presence in Microsoft Outlook for individual users with the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool:

Step 1 Start the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool.
You must have administrator permissions to run the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool.
Step 2 Select View in the menu bar and then select the Advanced Features option from the drop-down list.
Step 3 Navigate to the appropriate user in the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool.
Step 4 Double click the user to open the Properties dialog box.
Step 5 Select the Attribute Editor tab.
Step 6 Locate and select the proxyAddresses attribute in the Attributes list box.
Step 7 Select Edit to open the Multi-valued String Editor dialog box.
Step 8 In the Value to add text box, specify the following value: SIP:user@cupdomain.
For example, SIP:msmith@cisco.com.
Where the user@cupdomain value is the user's instant messaging address. cupdomain corresponds to the domain for Cisco Unified Presence or Cisco Unified Communications IM and Presence.

I would also like to add here that these contacts are not local address book contacts but global address book contacts.

Regards,

Pratik

Message was edited by: Pratik Bavlecha

Hi Pratik,

thank you for clarification.

I can also inform you that Katarina (QA analyst) replicated your issue with Outlook 2013 on Jabber 9.2.4.

She also tried same steps but with Jabber 9.6 and issue doesn't exist there. She also saw that issue doesn't exist

in Jabber 9.2.6.

We then identified the defect that was opened earlier that fixed this problem and found that it was the same defect that Katie mentioned - CSCui93200. Although the description of defect (the manifestation of problem) is not same with your issue, the fix for that defect works for your issue as well.

So, as a conclusion - the issue that you have with click to call function in Outlook 2013 will be fixed in versions 9.2.6 and 9.6. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can set SIP:IMaddress in proxyAddress field in internal non-Jabber contacts and set the IM address field for local Outlook external contacts.

Please, let me know if you are fine with this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: