cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 11.5 Gray's out username - can't change on fresh install

j.sillers
Level 5
Level 5

We just installed Jabber 11.5 on a couple of new corporate machines (Win7 using Skype as Corp IM)

We have a Jabber pilot running using WebEx Messenger so we don't have SSO or AD integration.

After a clean install of Jabber with no switches and no custom URL (we just downloaded CiscoJabberSetup.msi for v11.5 and ran it from the download folder on the machine) the screen for the login comes up but the username is already populated AND it is GRAYED OUT so we can't change it.  The format is our corporate email address.  We also have no option to "Reset Jabber" from the file menu. That is grayed out as well.

We then took another machine and installed it from the command line with this for options:

"msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1 CLICK2X=DISABLE"

Same issue.

So where is Jabber pulling these usersnames and why can't we change it?  Why is "Reset jabber" Grayed out too?

8 Replies 8

Akash Verma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please try installing Jabber for Windows with below command logged in as Local Administrator of PC?

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLEAR=1

Just uninstalled Jabber then re-installed it with your suggestion

"msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLEAR=1 CLICK2X=DISABLE"

Same problem - Username is Grayed out, it is populated from somewhere and REset Jabber is also grayed out.

Looks like after Service Discovery, Jabber is able to find Webex domain, this is why username is populated.

Can you try installing Jabber with below parameters set?

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1 EXCLUDED_SERVICES=WEBEX

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_6/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and_chapter_010000.html

I don't think that will help because my users need to get service from WebEx Messenger.  The issue is that the Messenger logins are not the same as the usernames Jabber is finding. We use different domains for WebEx vs WebEx Messenger.

So if I install it with that switch, then I won't be able to login even if I change the username.

I had to repost to get more traction.  Go here for the answer

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12750681/jabber-username-unchangeable-first-install-v115-windows#comment-11076741

Honestly, I don't care that Jabber finds some username somewhere on my system and inserts it into the field.  What I do care about is that some genius program manager thought that Jabber should then LOCK ME OUT of changing that username as a default setting and to really make me love the product , LOCK ME OUT of the Reset Jabber feature under the settings.

What possible benefit could this have compared to how much it stinks for anyone trying to set up Proof of Concepts or Demos?

How do I change this "feature"

Hello,

This line helps when you cannot reset jabber to enter account which is different then your domain's one:

(PC is in domain and each time after jabber reset it finds services and pulls user name).

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLICK2X=DISABLE

CUCM 10.5, jabber 11.7

You should also add the CLEAR=1 command.  Without it, I found mixed results.